Senior Mechanical Instrumentation/Automation Engineer
San Diego, CA /
Engineering – Mechanical /
Element Biosciences is a multi-disciplinary startup focused on innovating genetic analysis tools for the research and clinical markets. The Company's technology will broaden the end user experience through improved data quality and simplified workflows to benefit discoveries and diagnosis in healthcare.
- Seeking an experienced individual who enjoys hands-on design and development of manufacturing/automated systems for life science consumables and instrumentation
- You will make an impact by working cross-functionally to deliver manufacturing/assembling of high-quality products and instrumentation for internal and external customers
- Working with scientist and process engineers, you will contribute to the development of manufacturing processes and associated equipment for R&D as well as production lines related to life science instrumentation and their consumables.
- Design & development of process and hardware requirements with production scalability intent.
- Critical role in the overall manufacturing system design through vendor, hardware, and software design and/or selection including
- Breadboard, prototype, and system testing, maintaining, and troubleshooting
- Manufacturing Strategy for support and accelerating R&D activities including design input and/or development contributions of life science instrumentation
- Collaborate with vendors, instrumentation & consumable engineering groups, and other internal groups to achieve individual and team goals
- Ownership and/or contribution to specification and of V&V documentation, reports, and execution
- Minimum Engineering BS degree with 5 years or more related work experience in Life Science instrumentation company.
- Experience in good engineering practices, tools, and processes, including DFM, FEMA (design & process), DHF or Six Sigma
- Demonstrated experience working with life science instrumentation and consumables and understanding their product life cycle: concept through end-of-life
- Process modeling experience useful
- Solidworks CAD experience preferred
- Enjoys hands-on prototyping, fabrication, and testing
We are passionate about our mission to develop high performing products to study genomics in an unprecedented flexibility and to understand biology for the improvement of healthcare. We have built a highly efficient product-driven organization where employees can learn, grow and thrive in a challenging but encouraging environment. We are committed to scientific integrity, collegiality, honesty, objectivity, and openness. We offer excellent benefits, which include a 401K plan, competitive health benefits, flexible vacation, and equity incentives.
We foster an environment such that all people are afforded the freedom to pursue their passions without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, gender (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, veteran status or any other characteristics protected by law.