Director, Supply Chain
San Diego, CA
Operations – Supply Chain
Element Biosciences is a multi-disciplinary startup focused on innovating genetic analysis tools for the research and clinical markets. The Company's technology will broaden the end user experience through improved data quality and simplified workflows to benefit discoveries and diagnosis in healthcare.
We are looking for a driven, passionate professional to establish and grow our Supply Chain. We need an individual comfortable developing an organization and processes to support the unique needs of the genomic industry. We look for flexible candidates eager to build an amazing company and launch amazing products! We are building a fully integrated Operations team to work closely with our technology and product development teams. We aim to pull the technology out of the lab and enable it in Operations!
This role will work across the elements of our system, building the instrumentation, a microfluidics device, and the chemistry for our product. We are looking for a strong, highly integrative individual capable of working with development engineers and building and executing an operations plan. Successful candidates will have extensive supply chain experience within one or more of these segments: biotech, medical device, pharma, and/or semiconductor industry.
- Lead and manage the growing Supply Chain team in the Operations organization
- Establish the Supply Chain function, including hiring and training production managers/supervisors, and designing planning and procurement practices and policies
- Facilitate prototyping, pilot, and full production activities by leading supply chain function
- Plan and deliver supply chain best practices to support day-to-day operations needs, including planning, procurement, material logistics, and trade compliance
- Enable supply chain best practices through deployment of appropriate business systems (e.g. ERP, PLM, etc.)
- Lead recruitment of supply chain personnel to support successful prototype, pilot, and product commercialization
- Build documentation for operating requirements, participate in operations organizational planning architecture and design, and support supply chain risk analysis
- Establish supplier relationship management program, engage with strategic suppliers, and manage product risk associated with supply chain
- Work with process development engineers and scientists to understand technical constraints and translate requirements into standard operating procedures
- Represent the business in coordination of supplier development and supplier quality management activities
- Successful candidates will have educational background in operations and supply chain management, engineering (e.g. industrial, chemical, mechanical), and/or business, e.g. MBA; education with additional supply chain certifications are a plus
- Typically requires a Bachelors degree with at 10-15 years supply chain leadership experience, OR Masters with 8-12 years experience.
- Experience in both pre-production (new product introduction) and full production operations settings, preferably with experience commercializing products in a fast-paced environment
- Creative and independent thinker; excellent communication skills; good team worker; ability to multitask and work independently; and ability to find creative solutions to problems are required.
- Demonstrated drive and passion to grow self and others to address business needs
- Experience using statistical methods and data reporting tools to design and operate highly efficient supply chain
- Experience in pilot/full-production environments, including tech transfer activities, sustaining support, and continuous improvement
- Demonstrated expertise in management, organizational development, and leadership is required
- Experience with supply and production of consumables (low/mid complexity, higher volume) and instrumentation (low volume, high complexity) desired;
- Experience working in an innovative, high-tech environment is required; experience operating with flexibility in a fluid start up environment is a plus
- Knowledge and use of computer software for technical and business communication is required
- Ability to produce high quality work with great attention to detail in a fast-paced and efficient manner.
We are passionate about our mission to develop high performing products to study genomics in an unprecedented flexibility and to understand biology for the improvement of healthcare. We have built a highly efficient product-driven organization where employees can learn, grow and thrive in a challenging but encouraging environment. We are committed to scientific integrity, collegiality, honesty, objectivity, and openness. We offer excellent benefits, which include a 401K plan, competitive health benefits, flexible vacation, and equity incentives.
We foster an environment such that all people are afforded the freedom to pursue their passions without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, gender (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, veteran status or any other characteristics protected by law.