Senior Research Associate/Scientist, Protein Production Center
Newark, CA /
Operations – Process Development /
Element Biosciences is a multi-disciplinary startup focused on innovating genetic analysis tools for the research and clinical markets. The Company's technology will broaden the end user experience through improved data quality and simplified workflows to benefit discoveries and diagnosis in healthcare.
The Protein Production team at our Bay Area site is looking for a driven, passionate professional to develop our next generation processes with our products.
We are seeking a highly motivated team-player with excellent problem-solving skills and strong experience in protein expression and fermentation, preferably with experience commercializing products in a fast-paced protein production company. Versatility is a must, as tasks involve multiple different expression modalities, scales, and purification. Good organizational skills and the ability to manage projects within a timeline are essential.
- Design and optimize E. coli protein expression condition from Flask to 5L, and 50L bioreactor to meet project goals for yield and quality.
- Establish relationships and technically lead external CRO and CMO activities to scale fermentation.
- Work closely with research teams to transfer technology elements from R&D into scaleup and manufacturing.
- Setup cell growth manufacturing infrastructure including cell bank and cell growth related instruments’ WI, BOM, SOP, MOP and MBR.
- Maintain small and large manufacturing equipment including PM, calibration, and service call at protein production center
- Implement enzyme R&D small scale production, and large scale MFG production
- Protein process development support
- QC analysis for R&D production and MFG products
- BS/MS/PhD in chemical engineering, bioengineering, or engineering physics or a related discipline, with more than 5 years’ experience for BS, or master with 3-5 years’ experience, or PhD with 1-3 years’ experience.
- Experience in E. coli culture growth from shake flask to 5L bioreactor process development, and 50L bioprocess operations such as microbial fermentation, cell clarification/isolation, optimization of expression and solubility, and quantitative analysis skills are required.
- Experience with CRO and CMO fermentation is preferred
- Experience in protein purification and QC skills (HPLC SEC/CE/QPCR) are a plus, but training can be provided
- Experience with Sartorius Bioreactor or other vendors is a plus
We are passionate about our mission to develop high performing products to study genomics in an unprecedented flexibility and to understand biology for the improvement of healthcare. We have built a highly efficient product-driven organization where employees can learn, grow and thrive in a challenging but encouraging environment. We are committed to scientific integrity, collegiality, honesty, objectivity, and openness. We offer excellent benefits, which include a 401K plan, competitive health benefits, flexible vacation, and equity incentives.
We foster an environment such that all people are afforded the freedom to pursue their passions without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, gender (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, veteran status or any other characteristics protected by law.