Scientist, Sequencing Biochemistry Development
San Diego, CA
R&D – Reagent and Assay Development
Element Biosciences is a multi-disciplinary startup focused on innovating genetic analysis tools for the research and clinical markets. The Company's technology will broaden the end user experience through improved data quality and simplified workflows to benefit discoveries and diagnosis in healthcare.
We are looking for a passionate and driven scientist to join the reagent development group at a well-funded and long-term multi-venture backed Life Sciences start-up company. Key responsibilities will include the development of sequencing biochemistries and reagents for our new NGS technologies. Ideal candidates will work cross-functionally to optimize reagent performance for commercialization and build assays and characterization tools to determine if reagents conform to specifications. Candidates are expected to enjoy lab work, exhibit excellent experimental skills, be able to put team goals ahead of individual accomplishments and be proactive at communicating across departments. Successful candidates will be self-motivated, thrive in a fast-paced environment and feel energized by enabling new technologies.
- Optimize reagents for novel DNA sequencing workflows.
- Collaborate closely with upstream research teams and downstream ops/manufacturing teams as products evolve.
- Prioritize, design, plan and perform experiments.
- Analyze data, record and present results.
- Managing junior personal is likely as role evolves.
- Ph.D. degree in chemistry, biochemistry, molecular biology, bioengineering or a related discipline.
- 0 – 3 years industry experience and/or postdoctoral training.
- Proven track record of scientific achievement in form of publications and patents.
- Biochemical characterization of complex nucleic acid and enzyme interactions on surfaces.
- DNA amplification methods and DNA processing enzymes.
- Subject matter expert in DNA processing enzymes preferred, e.g. DNA polymerases, helicases, recombinases.
- Common methods for DNA characterization such as PCR (end-point, real-time, droplet), Bioanalyzer, capillary electrophoresis, fluorescent binding and activity assays.
- Applies principles of reaction kinetics and molecular interactions towards assay optimization.
- Basic knowledge of high-throughout -omics methods, e.g. DNA microarrays, NGS, Luminex.
Desired Software Skills:
- Well organized and good communicator, upwards and laterally.
- Good team player.
- Excellent analytical thinking and problem-solving skills.
- Persistent and ambitious.
We are passionate about our mission to develop high performing products to study genomics in an unprecedented flexibility and to understand biology for the improvement of healthcare. We have built a highly efficient product-driven organization where employees can learn, grow and thrive in a challenging but encouraging environment. We are committed to scientific integrity, collegiality, honesty, objectivity, and openness. We offer excellent benefits, which include a 401K plan, competitive health benefits, flexible vacation, and equity incentives.
We foster an environment such that all people are afforded the freedom to pursue their passions without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, gender (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, veteran status or any other characteristics protected by law.