Engineer 2- Microfluidics/Automation
San Diego, CA /
R&D – Chemistry and Consumable Development /
Element Biosciences is a multi-disciplinary startup focused on innovating genetic analysis tools for the research and clinical markets. The Company's technology will broaden the end user experience through improved data quality and simplified workflows to benefit discoveries and diagnosis in healthcare.
Element Biosciences is looking for a passionate engineer to join our Surface Chemistry/Consumable development team. Our group at Element Biosciences is a team of diverse backgrounds who hold the mission to develop the best in class consumables for sequencing. Our team is truly visionary in the field. We hold a high standard in creating sequencing consumables through innovation. As an R&D Engineer, you will contribute your efforts into the development of scalable and robust solutions for our next generation consumables. You will be improving our existing process and most importantly taking on projects to innovate and prototype the new ideas. In this role, you will be challenged to solve tough problems in the most advanced sequencing environment.
- Participate and contribute your ideas towards our next generation consumables
- Develop prototypes and test plans for feasibility study
- Design and execute experiments to characterize tools and processes
- Support and improve our existing systems
- Operating a range of analytical, fluidic, and imaging instruments
- Protocol/script development for motion/robotic controls
- Routine wet bench activities
- Closely working with the operation team to ensure a seamless transfer of each process
- Write work instructions
- Collect test results, analyze data, and prepare concise reports to communicate with the teams of scientists and engineers
- B.S., M.S., PhD in Engineering, Life Sciences, or related field
- 2+ years of relevant industry experience
- Team centric person in a multidisciplinary environment
- Experience with the development of integrated systems
- Experience with microfluidics is a plus
- Experience in automation with liquid handler and robotics is a plus
- Experience in a fast pace startup is a plus
- Experience with fluorescence imaging is a plus
- Experience with scripting is a plus
- Experience with CAD is a plus
- Strong statistical skill is a plus
We are passionate about our mission to develop high performing products to study genomics in an unprecedented flexibility and to understand biology for the improvement of healthcare. We have built a highly efficient product-driven organization where employees can learn, grow and thrive in a challenging but encouraging environment. We are committed to scientific integrity, collegiality, honesty, objectivity, and openness. We offer excellent benefits, which include a 401K plan, competitive health benefits, flexible vacation, and equity incentives.
We foster an environment such that all people are afforded the freedom to pursue their passions without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, gender (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, veteran status or any other characteristics protected by law.