Scientist, Surface Chemistry/Bioconjugation
San Diego, CA /
R&D – Surface Chemistry /
Element Biosciences is a multi-disciplinary startup focused on innovating genetic analysis tools for the research and clinical markets. The Company's technology will broaden the end user experience through improved data quality and simplified workflows to benefit discoveries and diagnosis in healthcare.
- Design, develop and execute experimental plans, both independently and in small teams, to improve surface chemistries.
- Apply a fundamental understanding of biophysics and polymeric materials to develop assays to evaluate surface chemistries.
- Interact closely with researchers and engineers in other teams to find comprehensive solutions.
- Participate in intellectual property creation.
- Provide guidance and work assignments to junior scientists.
- PhD degree in bioengineering, physics, chemistry, materials science, or a closely-related field.
- 1+ years of experience in surface biophysics or polymeric materials.
- Strong understanding of polymer physics and structure-function relationships in polymeric materials.
- Solid understanding of chemical reaction mechanisms at interfaces, including surface fouling.
- Experience with biomolecule immobilization and characterization.
- Experience with analytical techniques such as AFM, light microscopy, ellipsometry, FTIR, SEM, TOF-SIMS and XPS.
- Experience with data analysis tools such as JMP, R, ImageJ or MATLAB.
- At least 1 year of industrial work experience in an R&D setting is a plus.
- Excellent communication skills; good team player; ability to multitask and work independently; ability to find creative solutions to problems.
We are passionate about our mission to develop high performing products to study genomics in an unprecedented flexibility and to understand biology for the improvement of healthcare. We have built a highly efficient product-driven organization where employees can learn, grow and thrive in a challenging but encouraging environment. We are committed to scientific integrity, collegiality, honesty, objectivity, and openness. We offer excellent benefits, which include a 401K plan, competitive health benefits, flexible vacation, and equity incentives.
We foster an environment such that all people are afforded the freedom to pursue their passions without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, gender (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, veteran status or any other characteristics protected by law.