Senior Backend Engineer
Elevate Labs is on a mission to improve people's minds.
We’ve helped millions of people around the world learn and improve concrete communication, memory, and math skills through Elevate, our first mobile app which has won Apple's App of the Year Award and been downloaded more than 60 million times. With Balance, our second mobile app and winner of Google's Best App award, we’ve personalized meditation and made it free for an entire year to help more people reduce stress, improve sleep, sharpen focus, and much more.
Elevate Labs is a fully remote company of voracious learners and passionate doers, driven by our vision to help billions of people lead healthy, joyful, and productive lives.
If our mission resonates with you, please consider applying!
You'll be responsible for building and maintaining the foundational infrastructure that powers both of our award-winning apps: Balance and Elevate. As we look to grow, your role will be pivotal in developing our backend systems to support a larger portfolio of products. We're looking for an experienced backend engineer with a deep understanding of scalable systems and a passion for performance & reliability. You’ll collaborate closely with all engineers to build products that educate and delight our customers. As a senior member of the team, you’ll have the opportunity to guide the direction of our products and our engineering team.
This is a fully remote position anywhere in North or South America.
How You’ll Make an Impact Here:
- Lead the technical design and implementation of complex projects by working closely with Product Management, Marketing, and Content to define problems, come up with solutions, and deliver high-performance, reliable backend systems that support our apps
- Introduce new ideas to help the team iterate on process and technology
- Mentor fellow engineers, helping them grow their skills, and be open to learning from your teammates as you continue to grow your own skills
- Focus mainly on backend development but occasionally help out your teammates in other areas of the stack (iOS, Android, Data, DevOps, etc.)
- You have 5+ years of professional software experience in backend development
- You are passionate about product-focused problem-solving
- You stay up to date with the latest backend development news and technologies
- You have experience integrating 3rd party APIs, especially single-sign on, purchasing, and analytics
- You communicate clearly and are willing to give critical feedback to improve the product
- You can identify areas for improvement and drive projects to completion without a manager consistently directing your work
- You have shipped at least one customer-facing product
- Backend: Ruby on Rails
- Frontend: Hotwire
- Scripting: Python & Shell
- Cloud: Heroku, AWS, & CloudFlare
- Databases: PostgreSQL & Redis
- Data Analytics: Snowflake & DBT
- CI/CD: GitHub Actions
- IaC: Terraform
- Experience with one or more technologies in our stack
- Experience with backends specifically for mobile apps
- Experience with web or full stack development
- Experience with building and maintaining content delivery systems
- Experience with billing systems like Stripe, App Store, & Play Store
- Interest in mental health, brain training, and meditation
- Competitive salary and equity
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance for you and your family
- Distributed team flexibility, with a home-office stipend and co-working reimbursement
- Annual learning, wellness, and travel stipends
- Generous PTO, flexible sick leave, and paid parental leave
- Annual company meetup in fun location
How We Hire:
At Elevate Labs, we seek to build high-impact teams with high talent density, and we invest a lot of time and care into the hiring process. Your resume will be reviewed by a human, so we encourage you to keep resumes short (one page should do), double-check for grammar errors, and submit it as a PDF.
During the interview process, you can expect conversational-style sessions, some with a technical focus, and coding exercises in a common backend language of your choice, with Ruby or Python preferred.
Our Commitment to Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion:
We believe that there is no single candidate profile that guarantees success in this role. Experience comes in different forms; many skills are transferable, and passion goes a long way. If your background is similar to the job description and you think you can excel in this role, please apply and tell us about yourself and the impact you could make at Elevate Labs.
We also know that diversity of identity, experience, and thought leads to more creativity, better problem-solving, and wiser decisions, which is why we're dedicated to adding new perspectives to our team. We are an equal opportunity employer; committed to diversity and building an equitable and inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and experiences, and we're taking steps to meet that commitment. We highly encourage members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply, including women, people of color, LGBTQIA+ folks, veterans, and people with disabilities.