Software Engineer (Backend)
Technology & Operations – Engineering /
Ellie Mae is the leading cloud-based platform provider for the mortgage finance industry. Ellie Mae’s technology solutions enable lenders to originate more loans, reduce origination costs, and reduce the time to close, all while ensuring the highest levels of compliance, quality and efficiency. Visit EllieMae.com to learn more.
In this Senior Software Engineer role, you will be working in a dynamic development team while collaborating with other developers, management and customer support teams. You will have an opportunity to participate in designing and developing services utilized across product lines. All our products are deployed in public (AWS) and/or private cloud environments.
Summary of responsibilities
- Expertly able to analyze needs and requirements of existing and proposed systems. Develop technical specifications.
- Responsible for highly sensitive or critical problem determination. Able to diagnose complex developmental & operational problems and develop change management process. Able to recommend upgrades & improvements at a component level.
- Identifies both benefits and detriments for proposed solutions. Maintain broad experienced-based understanding of business and impact of industry trends.
- Mentors junior engineer
- Able to lead small teams, run planning meetings and facilitate accurate estimation of tasks
- Develops models of business functionality through prototyping. Participates in design and code review and code management. Identifies improvements and new processes. Identifies tools and processes for problem determination. Knowledge of computing infrastructure, including impacts on developmental & operational environments, and able to perform integration testing
- Able to influence and collaborate closely with groups in and outside the development team (eg. QA, Product Management, UE, Tech Pub) to achieve high quality and predictable results
Basic Skills & Qualifications
- 6-8 years direct experience with modern web stacks, design, development and deployment of high volume web applications and APIs.
- Working knowledge of relational database design and management.
- Expertise with object-oriented languages such as Java (preferred).
- History of building resilient, stateless, scalable, distributed and observable systems.
- Experience in building services (REST and SOAP) with high focus on performance.
- Familiarity with microservices and knowledge of modern cloud services (AWS).
- Practical perspective on software engineering discipline, focus on learning and delivering, and passion for high quality.
- “You build it – You own it” mentality is a must. Sense of ownership is paramount to achieving success.
- Great energy and enthusiasm with a positive, collaborative working style, clear communication and writing skills.
- Bachelors in Computer Science or equivalent experience. Masters degree is preferred.
- Java 8+
- Apache Kafka
Ellie Mae is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. Women, minorities, people with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply.
We do not accept resumes from headhunters, placement agencies, or other suppliers that have not signed a formal agreement with us.