Senior Powertrain Systems Engineer (ePowertrain)
South San Francisco /
At Elroy Air, we build autonomous vertical takeoff and landing (VTOL) cargo aircraft systems to change the way the world moves goods. Transporting cargo by air is faster and more efficient than by land or sea, but before recent technological and regulatory developments, it was prohibitively expensive. Today, we’re able to expand middle-mile logistics possibilities across multiple sectors. The commercial express shipping industry spends $140B annually on the middle-mile and needs faster, better solutions - while the armed forces are increasingly prioritizing unmanned aerial cargo delivery systems.
These partners and customers are already responding enthusiastically to the technologies we are pioneering. As we develop and deploy these systems, we are looking for people like you: motivated collaborators, excited by our mission and by the rare opportunity to improve how logistics works around the world. You will play an important role in establishing Elroy Air as the industry standard in this massive market.
Diverse perspectives at all levels are critical to innovation and employee development. We encourage our team to bring their whole selves to Elroy. This includes but is not limited to gender identity, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender expression, religion, age, ability, parenthood status, veteran status, educational background, citizenship status, or any combination of these characteristics.
The Senior Powertrain Systems Engineer’s primary responsibility is the system-level design, simulation, development, and validation of hybrid aircraft powertrain systems, including requirements management and product specification at the development level. You will be expected to follow through the entire product lifecycle, including into the start of production. Based on the system level performance requirements, you will be expected to develop the comprehensive subsystem and component level requirements, set up simulation models to evaluate various system configurations, develop test plans to ensure qualification and validation of the design, provide tested technology to production teams ready for high-volume manufacturing, work alongside production and quality teams to ensure that scaled up products meet required specifications, while addressing inadequate product performance if necessary.
You should be familiar with the components and construction or manufacturing processes of high-power systems and have successfully worked on various powertrain systems from concept to production. You will also interface with the program management team to assist with schedule development and engineering project management.
We envision this role as a full time position in our San Francisco office, with some remote work/work-from-home flexibility. Some travel will be required including but not limited to visits to flight test locations and critical vendor visits.
What You’ll Own:
- Powertrain system level design components for the Chaparral aircraft program
- Powertrain system requirements and design specifications
- Develop system level design and time domain behavioral models
- Analyze the performance of the powertrain system by conducting system level simulations for various configurations
- Design of certain powertrain integration subsystems, including HVIL, harnessing, etc.
- Provide support as needed for manufacturing, operation, and disassembly of powertrain system and subsystems from concept to production
- Design system level tests and provide support for requirement validation
- Design and perform experiments to study factors affecting system performance, such as component selection and architecture development
- Product development system operations and failure analysis including FMEAs
- Balance resources and cross functional objectives in a fast-paced environment
- Prepare and present progress reports to the rest of the team and engage in discussions to support the team’s technical objectives
- Train, guide, and define tasks for technicians and interns to facilitate a high standard of work
- Project management including project conceptualization, execution, and reporting
- Process improvement including product development of system operations, development and characterization of new processes, and improvement of existing processes to improve powertrain system performance
- Support development of innovative hybrid aircraft powertrain systems while taking into consideration SPC and DFM
- Conducting design reviews and driving file release processes
Our Ideal Candidate:
- BS or MS degree in Electrical Engineering
- 5+ years of relevant experience in hybrid and EV powertrain system design, test, and manufacturing in a post-academic, industry setting
- Experience in simulations using MATLAB, Simulink, and/or Simscape
- Demonstrated knowledge of various powertrain component and system simulation and validation methodologies
- Advanced understanding of DOE for Concept, Design, and Process Validation stages
- Failure analysis (FMEA), including validation testing and root cause analysis
- Strong background in the design and development of precision systems
- Demonstrated organizational skills and attention to detail
- The ability to communicate efficiently with cross functional team members as well as efficiently collaborate to achieve project goals
- Strong communication skills, both oral and written
- Proactive self-starter, capable of multitasking along with the ability to excel in a small company environment
Bonus Points For:
- Knowledge of 6-sigma design concept
- Experience in COMSOL to support system optimization studies
- Proven track record of incorporating Design for Manufacturability (DFM) or Design for Assembly (DFA)
- Experience with 3D CAD Tools such as Siemens NX, Solidworks, etc.
- Experience with JIRA for project management
- Experience with JAMA for requirements management
- Experience in the design, testing, assembly, and qualification of VTOL aircraft, electric aircraft propulsion systems, and/or hybrid powertrain systems
Elroy Air's compensation package includes market competitive salary, equity for all full time roles, and great benefits. If you are located in the San Francisco Bay Area, our expected cash compensation for this role is $140,000 - $220,000. We are hiring for multiple levels and backgrounds so final offers may vary from the amounts listed based on experience, expertise, and other factors.
We encourage you to apply even if you aren't an exact match for our open role as many of our team members come from nontraditional backgrounds.
All employees will be screened through E-Verify.
This position will require access to information protected under U.S. export control laws and regulations, including Export Administration Regulations (EAR). Please note that any offer for employment will be conditioned on any required authorization to receive software or technology controlled under these U.S. export control laws and regulations necessary to perform the responsibilities of the position.