Byron, CA /
Flight Test /
At Elroy Air, we build autonomous vertical takeoff and landing (VTOL) cargo aircraft systems to change the way the world moves goods. Transporting cargo by air is faster and more efficient than by land or sea, but before recent technological and regulatory developments, it was prohibitively expensive. Today, we’re able to expand middle-mile logistics possibilities across multiple sectors. The commercial express shipping industry spends $140B annually on the middle-mile and needs faster, better solutions - while the armed forces are increasingly prioritizing unmanned aerial cargo delivery systems.
These partners and customers are already responding enthusiastically to the technologies we are pioneering. As we develop and deploy these systems, we are looking for people like you: motivated collaborators, excited by our mission and by the rare opportunity to improve how logistics works around the world. You will play an important role in establishing Elroy Air as the industry standard in this massive market.
Diverse perspectives at all levels are critical to innovation and employee development. We encourage our team to bring their whole selves to Elroy. This includes but is not limited to gender identity, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender expression, religion, age, ability, parenthood status, veteran status, educational background, citizenship status, or any combination of these characteristics.
As an A&P Mechanic, you’ll be responsible for the build, maintenance, and service support of Elroy’s VTOL aircraft. You will oversee the vehicle’s mechanical and electrical systems by developing and maintaining an inspection schedule, manage every build and modification, and monitor vehicle status before, during, and after all flights. As a key member of the core flight crew, you will collaborate with pilots, software, electrical, and aero-mechanical engineers.
This is an on-site, full-time, exempt role at our test facility in Byron, CA. with occasional travel to our headquarters in South San Francisco.
What You'll Own:
- Hands-on support of the fabrication, assembly, integration and testing support for the Chaparral aircraft
- Provide guidance and leadership for other aircraft fabrication personnel, including service technicians, fabricators, and other members of the flight crew.
- Delivery of aircraft build requirements w/input from a multidisciplinary team of engineers
- Development and oversight of inspection and maintenance schedule for designated air vehicles
- Support and work to improve Elroy’s internal safe aircraft practices, from experimental aircraft through certification and final production.
Our Ideal Candidate:
- 5+ years of professional experience servicing fixed and/or rotary wing aircraft
- Airframe (A&P) Certification
- Strong, hands-on experience maintaining, servicing, and building complex aircraft systems
- Aircraft electrical system topology and build experience
- Experience installing & troubleshooting avionics components, wiring harnesses
- Self-starting and proactive attitude working within an interdisciplinary team
- Solid verbal and written communication skills for interacting effectively with teammates and mission critical documentation.
- Electric aviation experience, particularly with regard to high power systems
- Hybrid powertrain experience
- Battery system experience
- Mechanical design and/or fabrication experience
What's In It For You:
- Competitive salary + equity package
- Comprehensive insurance options for medical/dental/vision/long term disability/life + optional plans for commuter accounts, pet insurance, legal help, and more!
- Retirement planning: 401(k) with company contribution
- 3 months fully paid parental leave
- Highly flexible vacation policy- that we actually want you to use!
- Employee Assistance Program with 24/7 support
- Developing Employee Resource Groups (Affinity Groups) for underrepresented groups
- You’ll work with a kind, diverse, and highly skilled team
- You'll help define a new category of aerospace / logistics / robotics, and you'll work on systems that have never been built before
- As an early member of a fast growing team, you'll help shape and define our company culture and values
- Flexible work arrangements (we understand you have a personal life)
Elroy Air's compensation package includes market competitive pay, equity for all full time roles, and great benefits. If you are located in the San Francisco Bay Area, our expected cash compensation for this role is $130,000 - $150,000. We are hiring for multiple levels and backgrounds so final offers may vary from the amounts listed based on experience, expertise, and other factors.
We encourage you to apply even if you aren't an exact match for our open role as many of our team members come from nontraditional backgrounds.
All employees will be screened through E-Verify.
This position will require access to information protected under U.S. export control laws and regulations, including Export Administration Regulations (EAR). Please note that any offer for employment will be conditioned on any required authorization to receive software or technology controlled under these U.S. export control laws and regulations necessary to perform the responsibilities of the position.