Senior Embedded Software Engineer
Software and Avionics /
At Elroy Air, we build autonomous vertical takeoff and landing (VTOL) cargo aircraft systems to change the way the world moves goods. Transporting cargo by air is faster and more efficient than by land or sea, but before recent technological and regulatory developments, it was prohibitively expensive. Today, we’re able to expand middle-mile logistics possibilities across multiple sectors. The commercial express shipping industry spends $140B annually on the middle-mile and needs faster, better solutions - while the armed forces are increasingly prioritizing unmanned aerial cargo delivery systems.
These partners and customers are already responding enthusiastically to the technologies we are pioneering. As we develop and deploy these systems, we are looking for people like you: motivated collaborators, excited by our mission and by the rare opportunity to improve how logistics works around the world. You will play an important role in establishing Elroy Air as the industry standard in this massive market.
Diverse perspectives at all levels are critical to innovation and employee development. We encourage our team to bring their whole selves to Elroy. This includes but is not limited to gender identity, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender expression, religion, age, ability, parenthood status, veteran status, educational background, citizenship status, or any combination of these characteristics.
We are looking for an experienced Embedded Software Engineer to join our Software engineering organization. You will work across a broad swath of the software stack, including emulation of sensors and electromechanical actuation systems, ensuring reliable performance of low-level peripheral drivers, and timely execution of high-level vehicle control loops. This role is highly cross-disciplinary, requiring a keen understanding of our Flight Software & Avionics architecture to effectively contribute to the stack, as well as to create emulators that can be used to ensure the safety & functionality of our aircraft. Your code will be deployed on our flight computers, as well as on Elroy Air’s Software-in-the-loop and Hardware-in-the-loop simulation platforms.
This is a remote, full-time, exempt role. Some travel will be required (~1 week/quarter) including, but not limited to, visits to flight test locations and critical vendor visits to assure we hit key milestones.
What You'll Own:
- Development, verification, and deployment of Elroy Air’s flight software stack on embedded target hardware
- Emulation of flight-critical sensors, actuators, and other peripheral devices
- Software support and participation in flight tests to prototype and validate our system’s functionality
Our Ideal Candidate:
- 10+ years of hands-on experience in object-oriented design, C/C++
- Experience with complex multi-threaded embedded systems
- Experience designing, developing, and deploying safety-critical software for real time systems, ideally on large-scale aerial platforms
- Experience with communication protocols such as Ethernet, RS232, RS422, RS485, CAN, I2C, SPI, JTAG
- Proficiency in reading datasheets, schematic review, and hardware-bring up
- Experience emulating complex safety-critical components
- Proficiency with Linux and Python
- Hands-on experience with laboratory equipment such as oscilloscopes, logic analyzers, protocol analyzers, voltmeters, etc.
- Experience with requirements based software design and implementation
Bonus Points For:
- Experience deploying flight controls, autonomy, sensor fusion, and navigation algorithms on resource-constrained embedded targets
- Familiarity with Simulink and autocode integration
- Familiarity with FMEA, FHA, and other fault modes analysis processes
- Familiarity with aviation software certification standards & processes (e.g. DO-178C)
What's In It For You:
- Competitive salary + equity package
- Comprehensive insurance options for medical/dental/vision/long term disability/life + optional plans for commuter accounts, pet insurance, legal help, and more!
- Retirement planning: 401(k) with company contribution
- 3 months fully paid parental leave
- Highly flexible vacation policy- that we actually want you to use!
- Employee Assistance Program with 24/7 support
- Developing Employee Resource Groups (Affinity Groups) for underrepresented groups
- You’ll work with a kind, diverse, and highly skilled team
- You'll help define a new category of aerospace / logistics / robotics, and you'll work on systems that have never been built before
- As an early member of a fast growing team, you'll help shape and define our company culture and values
- Flexible work arrangements (we understand you have a personal life)
Elroy Air's compensation package includes market competitive salary, equity for all full time roles, and great benefits. If you are located in the San Francisco Bay Area, our expected cash compensation for this role is $150,000 - $220,000. We are hiring for multiple levels and backgrounds so final offers may vary from the amounts listed based on experience, expertise, and other factors.
We encourage you to apply even if you aren't an exact match for our open role as many of our team members come from nontraditional backgrounds.
All employees will be screened through E-Verify.
This position will require access to information protected under U.S. export control laws and regulations, including Export Administration Regulations (EAR). Please note that any offer for employment will be conditioned on any required authorization to receive software or technology controlled under these U.S. export control laws and regulations necessary to perform the responsibilities of the position.