Backend Software Engineer
New York, NY
If you are an exceptionally talented individual who is passionate about solving some of the world’s most important problems, and creating scalable social impact with data, we want to hear from you.
Joining our team at the ground level, you will have lasting impact on building the business, its culture, and its success. We also want to support you in building your skills, your knowledge, your network, and you. You can expect from us not just a job, but support and mentorship around your career. You will directly affect the outcome of everything that you touch.
We care less about your specific credentials, and more about your potential to be a transformative member of our team. We are a YC company tackling one of the most important issues of our time -- the relationship between governments and the communities that they serve, starting with policing. Success for us means impact on hundreds of millions of people around the U.S. and billions around the world. We've got a unique head start on the problem in a particularly acute sector, and we are looking for partners that will be game-changers for us in achieving our mission.
We are deeply committed to a culture of curiosity and learning and support every team member with a budget for ongoing learning, financial support for participation in conferences and meetups, as well as biweekly lunch-and-learns and other personal and professional growth opportunities.
Elucd is based in the DUMBO neighborhood of Brooklyn, New York City, right at the base of the Brooklyn and Manhattan bridges.
- Architect, implement, extend, and maintain engineering for Elucd’s software products
- Research and analysis of relevant APIs and datasets
- Work with the front-end team to scale engineering operations around their work and to integrate their outputs correctly and efficiently into data dashboards, email reports, notifications and other products
Required Skills & Background
- BA/BS in Computer Science, related degree, or equivalent practical experience
- Expertise in Python and Flask
- Ability to move quickly in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to work collaboratively in a group environment
- Experience in test-driven development
- Experience in writing elegant, clear, maintainable code
- Experience with AWS or other equivalent infrastructure-as-a-service platforms
- Expertise with Github and version control best practices
- Interest in cities and technology for social good
- Current authorization to work full-time in the U.S.
- Experience with any of the following: ad-tech, dev ops, computer security
- Experience with any of the following: data engineering, data analytics
- Expertise in effectively communicating technical concepts to a non-technical audience, both in writing and verbally
- Experience with agile software development best practices
- Conference presentations in a technical field
- Domain experience in government/law enforcement
- Commitment to open source development
- Experience with software linters
- Experience in refactoring
To learn more about Elucd, check out this piece about our work in The New York Times.
Elucd is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or national origin.
Diversity and inclusion is a foundational value of our company. We know that we will do our best, most innovative, and most impactful work (and have the most fun in doing it!) if we prioritize representation and true inclusion. We proudly hire talented people from a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences.