Back-End Software Engineer
New York, NY
If you are a thoughtful and exceptionally talented individual motivated to create scalable social impact through software, we want to hear from you.
You love to build products from top to bottom, front to back. You’re willing to dive into a wide range of stacks and codebases and eager to learn and improve your craft as a software engineer. You care about building the right products, working alongside business development, customer success, product management, data science, design, and other functions to do so.
As one of Elucd's first hires, you will have lasting impact on building the business, its culture, and its success. You will enjoy great autonomy, have great responsibility, and directly affect the outcomes of everything that you touch.
We care less about your specific credentials, and more about your potential to be a transformative member of our team. We are tackling one of the most important issues of our time -- the relationship between governments and the communities that they serve, starting with policing. Success for us means impact on hundreds of millions of people around the U.S. and billions around the world. We've got a unique head start on the problem in particularly acute sector, and we are looking for partners that will be game-changers for us in achieving our mission.
We also want to partner with you in building your skills, your knowledge, your network, and you. You can expect from us not just a job, but support and mentorship around transforming your career. We want team members who will grow alongside us, bringing their all and, in return, experience profound personal and professional growth.
Tasks & Responsibilities
- Architect, implement, extend, and maintain core engineering for Elucd’s software products
- Work with the data science team to scale engineering operations around their work and to integrate their outputs correctly and efficiently into data dashboards
- Collaborate with the business development and customer success teams to define product requirements and ensure thoughtful and relevant product development
- Mentoring other engineers
Required Skills & Background
- BA/BS in Computer Science, related degree, or equivalent practical experience
- Expertise in Python and Flask
- Experience with Django
- Several years of professional experience in software development
- Ability to move quickly in a fast-paced environment
- Expertise in effectively communicating technical concepts to a non-technical audience, both in writing and verbally
- Ability to work collaboratively in a group environment
- Expertise in test-driven development
- Expertise in writing elegant, clear, maintainable code
- Experience with agile software development best practices
- Experience with AWS or other equivalent infrastructure-as-a-service platforms
- Experience with software linters
- Expertise with Github and version control best practices
- Expertise with any of the following: data engineering, data analytics
- Expertise with any of the following: dev ops, computer security
- Domain experience in government/law enforcement
- Commitment to open source development
Elucd is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or national origin.
Diversity and inclusion is a foundational value of our company. We know that we will do our best, most innovative, and most impactful work (and have the most fun in doing it!) if we prioritize representation and true inclusion. We proudly hire talented people from a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences.