Controls Engineering Lead
San Francisco, CA /
Engineering – Motion Planning and Controls /
We are a San Francisco based team building self-driving semi trucks. We have raised $117MM in total and are backed by Tiger Global Management ($70MM Series C) and Sequoia Capital ($30MM Series B). We move freight daily between LA and Phoenix using our purpose built transfer hubs. This is an incredibly exciting time for autonomous driving and our team is looking to grow.
The controls team is responsible for designing and developing control code for our fleet of trucks. Our trucks handle a variety of scenarios daily including forced merges, lane changes, lane adjustments, changing freight weights, emergency vehicles, and off ramps to name a few. Your will develop control code to improve the driving, safety and reliability of our system. The lead for this team will be responsible for managing the engineering work and growth of the team. Our engineering leads have a deep area of expertise and take a hands on approach to leading the team.
Responsibilities / Projects:
- Lead the team’s efforts in extending the capability of the control system
- Mentor and coach existing team members including code reviews, 1on1’s and employee growth
- Help plan for and in the hiring of the team
- Participate in the day-to-day work of the controls team including the following:
- Design and develop complex, highly scalable, and latency-optimized software in C++
- Invent, extend, design and develop control and estimation features
- Take algorithms from conception to implementation and deployment
- Analyze performance from simulation and real-world testing (on public roads and closed-course test tracks), root cause issues, identify areas for improvement
- Work with existing code base to optimize reliability and performance
Your Experience Might Include:
- Experience managing a software engineering team in a production environment.
- Experience writing production level C++ / Python
- Classical control theory, analysis and design techniques on production systems
- Modeling, simulation, validation experience with production systems
- Project experience working on state estimation, sensor fault detection and calibration
When you apply, address the application to Dominique and let me know why you want to join our team.
A few company highlights: