Senior Software Engineer, Product Metrics
San Francisco, CA /
Engineering – Product /
We are a San Francisco based team building self-driving semi trucks. We have raised $117MM in total and are backed by Tiger Global Management ($70MM Series C) and Sequoia Capital ($30MM Series B). We move freight daily between LA and Phoenix using our purpose built transfer hubs. This is an incredibly exciting time for autonomous driving and our team is looking to grow.
Embark’s Product team sets the direction and priorities for our growing Engineering organization. We build close relationships with truck drivers and engineers alike so that we can empathize with them and understand the self-driving problem as deeply as possible. We analyze on-road data with a fine-toothed comb and develop system requirements from first principles. We develop strategies and roadmaps for the team using metrics that we build from the ground up. We understand we have a responsibility to communicate these plans and our progress to the company to keep everyone accountable and ultimately accelerate the deployment of safe self-driving trucks.
At Embark we strive to support all major decisions with data. As a software engineer working on product metrics, you will be expected to synthesize these needs and develop solutions to enable the team to make informed decisions. Your input and understanding of these solutions will be crucial to the final outcomes.
- Work closely with product managers and engineers to brainstorm, prototype and implement metrics for AV systems and subsystems across Planning, Perception and Hardware.
- Using both research from industry and a first principles physics or data-based approach, build novel behavioral-level metrics to quantify the performance of our self-driving trucks.
- Evaluate, architect and deploy new database systems and data pipelines to extract, characterize and store scenario information from the terabytes of driving data that our vehicles log everyday.
- Build APIs to enable advanced queries for metrics and other scenarios of interest for applications like machine learning, project planning and Operations resource allocation.
- Understand and communicate the tradeoffs of different measures of performance for the vehicle and its subsystems used to inform Engineering priorities, staffing and timelines.
- Build dashboards and visualizations in order to convey the progress of our system to a variety of stakeholders across the company.
- 4+ years in software engineering.
- Significant experience with Python, C++, Go or similar.
- BS, MS or PhD in computer science, engineering, or equivalent real-world experience.
- Experience working with a complex software or robotics system.
- A full time, competitive salary with equity
- Flexible paid vacation from the start
- 100% of the base insurance option covered for Medical, Dental, and Vision and a buy-up option for other plans
- Life insurance covered by Embark
- Access to a Flexible Spending Account & 401K Plan
- Snacks & catered lunches
- Work in a fast-growing startup revolutionizing transportation as we know it
At Embark we celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
When you apply, address the application to Dominique and let me know why you want to join our team.
A few company highlights: