Associate General Counsel (Remote)
United States /
Admin – Legal /
At Emburse our mission is to help make our users’ lives -- and their businesses – better. We are dramatically transforming how organizations manage corporate expenses and invoices. We humanize work by automating manual tasks and saving users’ time, so they can focus on what matters most -- their family, community, or more rewarding work. We help CFO's give their employees a simple and amazing experience while ensuring compliance and reducing costs. Our solutions are tailored for companies from start-ups to enterprises. We have more than 16,000 clients and 9 million users globally.
Emburse has offices across North America, including Los Angeles, Montreal, Portland (ME), San Diego, San Francisco, and Toronto, as well as locations in the UK, Germany, Spain, Australia and the Netherlands.
Our core values - Sincerity, Empathy, Empowerment, Individuality, and Teamwork - reflect who we are as a company. They are central to the decisions we make and the interactions we have with our teams, customers, and partners. As a people-focused company, we are seeking candidates who align with our values.
Emburse is a proud recipient of a 2020 Tech Cares Award from TrustRadius and a 2020 IDC SaaS CSAT Award for Travel and Expense. These awards celebrate companies that have gone above and beyond to provide their communities, clients, and front-line workers with support during the COVID-19 pandemic. We are a people-first company, and this award is a testament to our mission to humanize work.
Follow us to stay updated on news and job openings!
The Legal department leaders act as liaisons to business unit leader and senior leaders. They provide guidance on key issues to members of the legal department and manage risks and issues in accordance with the established company profile.
What you'll do:
- Assist in maintaining the company’s legal interests and maintaining its operations within the scope established by law
- Provides hands-on counsel to all levels of executive staff and manages the operations of legal department
- Identifies and analyzes legal issues, drafts key documents, presents clear recommendations to top management, and assures legal compliance.
- May manage attorneys in several legal specializations including data privacy, IP, commercial transaction etc.
- The Associate General Counsel manages a departmental function within a broader corporate function
- Develops major goals to support broad functional objectives
- Approves policies developed within various sub-functions and departments
- Negotiating contracts with clients and vendors
- Working closely with the other departments to roll out compliance requirements
- Navigating complex and novel legal issues
- Dealing with evolving areas of law including intellectual property, technology, data privacy/GDPR and employment
What we're looking for:
- J.D from an ABA accredited school and bar membership in at least one U.S jurisdiction
- 8-10 years of relevant in-house or law firm experience
- 3-5 years of management experience
- Highly developed written and oral communication skills
- Strong organizational skills and ability to prioritize multiple tasks
- General knowledge of licensing, anti-competition, marketing, privacy, and data protection laws
- Keen business sense, ability to think strategically, and desire to establish a trusted advisor relationship with business clients
- Demonstrated ability to work efficiently, meet demanding deadlines in a fast-paced environment, and prioritize workflow with minimal supervision
- Creative thinker with strong problem-solving skills and the ability to stay calm under challenging circumstances
- Ability to solve problems with a focus on achieving results that benefit our business as well as the business of our customers and partners
- Openness to adapting his/her practice in response to the changing industry and partner landscape
- Strong collaboration skills and the desire and ability to work as part of a team and with diverse groups and culture
Emburse provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Emburse complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location where the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment.