Senior Data Engineer
US - Remote /
EPD – Engineering /
At Emburse our mission is to help make our users’ lives -- and their businesses – better. We are dramatically transforming how organizations manage corporate expenses and invoices. We humanize work by automating manual tasks and saving users’ time, so they can focus on what matters most -- their family, community, or more rewarding work. We help CFO's give their employees a simple and amazing experience while ensuring compliance and reducing costs. Our solutions are tailored for companies from start-ups to enterprises. We have more than 16,000 clients and 9 million users globally.
Emburse has offices across North America, including Los Angeles, Montreal, Portland (ME), San Diego, San Francisco, and Toronto, as well as locations in the UK, Germany, Spain, and Australia.
Our core values - Sincerity, Empathy, Empowerment, Individuality, and Teamwork - reflect who we are as a company. They are central to the decisions we make and the interactions we have with our teams, customers, and partners. As a people-focused company, we are seeking candidates who align with our values.
Emburse is a proud recipient of a 2020 Tech Cares Award from TrustRadius and a 2020 IDC SaaS CSAT Award for Travel and Expense. These awards celebrate companies that have gone above and beyond to provide their communities, clients, and front-line workers with support during the COVID-19 pandemic. We are a people-first company, and this award is a testament to our mission to humanize work.
Follow us to stay updated on news and job openings!
Emburse data engineers develop the data pipelines and systems in the central platform empowering Emburse’s SaaS products. As a data engineer, you will build the pipelines that populate the data warehouse and data lakes, implement tenant data security, support the data science platforms and techniques, and integrate data solutions and APIs with Emburse products and analytics. The role is based within the Emburse Platform analytics team, a fast moving and product-focused team responsible for delivering next generation business intelligence and data science capabilities across the business. Emburse, known for its innovation and award-winning technologies employ modern technologies including Snowflake, Data Bricks/Spark, AWS and Looker. In this role you will have access to the best and brightest minds in our industry to grow your experience and career within Emburse.
What you'll do:
- 6+ years of data engineering experience related to data acquisition, data pipeline, workflows, data systems and architectures, preferably with Project Lead experience in a product-focused environment.
- Develops code (e.g. python), infrastructure and tools for the extraction, transformation, and loading of data from a wide variety of data sources, using SQL, streaming and related data lake and data warehouse technologies.
- Builds analytical tools to utilize, model and visualize data
- Assembles large, complex data sets for the needs business for ad-hoc requests and as part of on-going software engineering projects
- Develops scripts to automate manual processes, address data quality, enable integration or monitor processes
- Has a knowledge of message queuing, stream processing, and scalable data stores
- Understands data security to a high degree as applicable to multi-tenant environments, multiple regions and financial industry data
- Takes personal responsibility for quality and maintainability of the product and actively identifies areas for improvement
- Identifies problems/risks of own work and others.
- Identifies viable alternative solutions and presents them
- Follows SDLC processes, including adopting agile-based processes, peer code-reviews, and technical preparations required for scheduled releases and demos.
- Partners with product, analytics and data science team to drive requirements that take into account all parties' needs
- Establishes monitoring, responds to alerts and resolves issues within data pipelines
- Develops sophisticated data-oriented software or systems with minimum supervision
- On-boards and mentors less experienced team members
- Makes complex contributions to technical documentation/knowledge base/data directionaries and team/engineering presentations
- Strong ability to mentor and guide less experienced engineers.
- May have role in supervising others or leading small to moderate projects
- Optimizes processes, fixes complex bugs and demonstrates advanced debugging skills
- Produces quality documentation and ensures practices are followed
- Contributes to system design sessions in their area of specialty
- Expanded Code review responsibilities
- Performs advanced refactoring
- Collaborate with product owners, software developers, data scientists, devops and analysts
- Gives constructive feedback to team members
- Learn industry jargon and business concepts to better understand the challenges our technology is designed to solve.
- Raises roadblocks and updates estimations as needed
- Ability to communicate complicated concepts to junior staff.
What we're looking for:
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related field, or equivalent years’ experience
- Advanced working SQL knowledge and experience working with a variety of relational databases
- Experience working with a modern scalable data lake or data warehouses
- Experience working with a modern data pipeline or data workflow management tool
- Experience working in a product-oriented environment alongside software engineers and product managers
- Experience with Python in a full SDLC/production deployment environment
- Preferred: Experience with AWS services, Experience working with Snowflake, Experience working with Looker or an equivalent Business Intelligence suite, Experience working with Fivetran or an equivalent ETL/ELT suite, Experience with Databricks or an equivalent Spark-based suite, Financial Industry experience preferred
Emburse provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Emburse complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location where the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment.