Associate/Senior Associate, Energy & Environment
San Francisco, CA /
Investments – Venture Investing /
We are an organization dedicated to creating pathways to opportunity so people can live to their full potential. We center our work on education, immigration reform, the environment, health, with justice as our goal. We use a wide range of tools and strategies — partnering with entrepreneurs and experts, makers and policymakers, advocates, and creatives — to build and execute innovative solutions that will spur change and promote equality.
In order to address national and global-scale problems, we employ a wide range of tools and strategies. We believe that a combination of Philanthropy and Venture Capital can support the greatest leaps of innovation. This model allows us to deploy resources in the most flexible way for the greatest impact.
The venture team invests in mission-driven leaders building technology companies that are creating innovative solutions to the world’s biggest problems. The companies are at the intersection of positive financial returns and scalable long-term social impact. We are industry and business model agnostic and look to support high-impact companies across verticals. Some example sectors we invest in include financial technology, digital health, education technology, climate technology, government technology, and the future of work. We are currently looking to add an investing team member to our energy & environment investing team at the Associate or Senior Associate level, commensurate with experience (Series B+).
Role and Responsibilities
- Leverage quantitative and qualitative skills to perform diligence on our target investments (i.e., business, financial, and impact diligence) and communicate your findings in a clear, concise manner.
- Prepare in-depth industry sector analysis to guide our investment strategy, including thesis creation, market maps, industry research, and network building through pro-actively meeting with promising entrepreneurs and cultivating relationships across the startup ecosystem.
- Present analyses and recommendations through preparation of diligence decks, verbal presentations, and investment memos.
- Support our current portfolio companies post-investment through a wide range of initiatives, including executive hiring, business development, DE&I, and fundraising support.
- Engage with the broader EC and venture capital networks to facilitate collaboration opportunities, build relationships, and promote impact at scale.
Qualifications, Skills, and Requirements
- You have 2–6 years of relevant work experience in venture capital, a startup/technology business, private equity, investment banking, or management consulting. Prior analytical experience is a must.
- You are committed to and passionate about making an impact in the climate space.
- You produce thorough and concise quantitative and qualitative analyses to form opinions about companies. You are comfortable building accurate financial models and valuing companies.
- You communicate directly, empathetically, and concisely in both written and verbal form.
- You thrive in entrepreneurial, diverse and inclusive environments. You are comfortable taking on new tasks or projects with little direction and adjusting course quickly in response to feedback.
- You respond to new ideas, projects, and tasks with enthusiasm and are able to operationalize them after looking at them from multiple perspectives (considering the opportunities, risks, creative alternatives, and possible paths forward).
- You are a collaborative team player with high integrity and work ethic.
- You invite different perspectives into your work and have a commitment to improving yourself and others by seeking and delivering specific performance feedback.
Emerson Collective is a Bay Area-based organization with offices in Palo Alto, East Palo Alto, Oakland, Chicago, New York, and Washington, D.C. This position is located in Palo Alto.
The salary for this role is highly competitive and commensurate with experience. Emerson Collective offers excellent organizational benefits.
What we offer
A mission-driven, diverse, and inclusive environment that focuses on learning and growing. We offer excellent benefits and perks designed for your well-being and a healthy work-life balance. These include flexible paid time off, competitive health insurance, a generous retirement savings plan, paid parental leave, commuter benefits, mental health and family care benefits, lunch in the office, book club, weekly yoga, a new iPhone and iWatch, time off to volunteer, participation in social justice events, and more.
The salary for this role is highly competitive and commensurate with experience.
Building a diverse and inclusive workforce is key to our mission and values as we strive to create systemic change and open possibilities for all of the communities we serve. To that end, we provide equal employment opportunities to all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, or genetics.