Senior Product Portfolio Manager
New York, NY /
Engineering – Product & Engineering /
We are an organization dedicated to creating pathways to opportunity so people can live to their full potential. We center our work on education, immigration reform, the environment, health, with justice as our goal. We use a wide range of tools and strategies — partnering with entrepreneurs and experts, makers and policymakers, advocates, and creatives — to build and execute innovative solutions that will spur change and promote equality.
In order to address national and global-scale problems, we employ a wide range of tools and strategies. We believe that a combination of Philanthropy and Venture Capital can support the greatest leaps of innovation. This model allows us to deploy resources in the most flexible way for the greatest impact.
The Data Products team is a growing group of diverse and humble product managers, engineers, and data scientists that understand the power of technology to accelerate change. Collaborating with domain experts and social sector organizations, we apply a human-centered approach to help build solutions. Our team provides innovative tech solutions and data-driven facts and analysis to meaningful support advancements in education, immigration, the environment, and health. In doing so, we believe the sector can collaboratively build capacity and be empowered to accelerate change.
The Senior Product Portfolio Manager will lead the Data Product team’s education work in tech and data opportunities that will propel our partners and move the field forward. This role will work closely with colleagues and education nonprofits to support important initiatives and develop products, including setting strategies, building roadmaps, managing development and requirements, celebrating launches, and communicating takeaways. The role will report to the Director of Products.
Role and Responsibilities
- Partner across internal teams such as education grantmaking, education investing, XQ, and others, and external partners including grantees, investment portfolio companies, and others in the education ecosystem to build a portfolio of tech and data opportunities. This may include providing advisory services, engaging in technical product collaborations, and prototyping new product solutions alongside education partners of EC.
- Work with internal teams and tech and data partners to establish metrics to measure impact.
- Conduct market and user research (directly, and through research partners where appropriate). The data insights are used to strengthen the work of the education field and to support product development.
- Prioritize and make trade-offs to deliver high-quality advisory services and products in scope and on time, while maintaining high user satisfaction.
- Manage and guide technical teams overseeing tech advisory services and all aspects of product development, testing, iterating, and maintenance.
- Balance the pipeline of existing and new project and product opportunities in line with our team’s Objectives and Key Results (OKRs).
Qualifications, Skills, and Requirements
- 5+ years in product development and management overseeing multiple projects and products.
- Passionate and knowledgeable about the education sector like experience working in and with classrooms, education nonprofits, ed-tech products, education datasets, etc.
- Insatiable belief and desire that tech and data can contribute to positive change as well as the perseverance to guide innovation in the field.
- Comfortable establishing, managing and reporting on team and product OKRs.
- Understands the fundamental concepts of software development, including rapid prototyping.
- Preferred in-depth experience with Agile methodologies and collaboration tools like Asana, Miro, Figma, Airtable, Lucidchart, etc.
- Able to produce compelling presentations from research-based learnings which are authentically centered around the voices, perspectives, and lived experiences of immigration partners.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills that cater to technical and non-technical audiences.
- Comfortable working with cross-functional teams and balancing contending priorities in a fast-past environment.
- Familiarity and flexibility working across multiple time zones.
- Willing to travel as needed (approximately once a quarter).
Emerson Collective is a Bay Area-based organization with offices in Palo Alto, East Palo Alto, Oakland, Chicago, New York, and Washington, D.C. This position is located in either our Palo Alto, CA (preferred) or NYC office.
The salary for this role is highly competitive and commensurate with experience. Emerson Collective offers excellent organizational benefits.
Building a diverse and inclusive workforce is key to our mission and values as we strive to create systemic change and open possibilities for all of the communities we serve. To that end, we provide equal employment opportunities to all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, or genetics.