Senior Vice President and Chief of Staff
Washington, DC /
Reporting to: President
Supervisory Responsibilities: Office of the President, Chief Financial Officer, Chief Technology Officer and Information Security Officer, Chief Administrative Officer
FLSA Status: Exempt
The Senior Vice President, Chief of Staff will work directly with and report to the President of EMILYs List. The SVP, Chief of Staff is a member of the Executive and Senior Leadership Teams at EMILYs List, and helps create, guide and implement the strategic vision and planning for EMILY’s List. This role requires building strong relationships with the senior leadership and team members across the organization in order to influence outcomes and maintain momentum. The SVP, Chief of Staff at EMILYs List must possess strategic focus and operational efficiency. Success in this role requires strong leadership, people management, communication, organizational, and decision-making skills.
The opportunity for the new Chief of Staff at EMILYs List is to join an experienced team of senior leaders who, together, are writing the next chapter of the nation’s largest resource for women in politics to elect Democratic pro-choice women who run, win, and change the world.
Key Areas of Responsibility
- Direct support of the President and leadership of the Office of the President
- Strategic planning and alignment
- Board management
- Project management
- Hiring and staff management
- Meeting and event preparation
- Organizational representative Direct supervision of operational capacities of EMILYs List
Essential Job Functions
- EMILYs List Chief of Staff will use strong leadership and problem-solving skills to assist with the daily operation of the organization.
- Collaborating with executive team members to determine and prioritize organizational strategies (e.g. organizational DEI efforts);
- Helping to determine key performance indicators and how to measure team performance;
- Determining agendas for leadership team and board meetings;
- Providing department leaders with recommendations and consultation to improve performance and teamwork;
- Working with leadership to deliver, monitor and communicate progress towards goals;
- Overseeing strategic initiatives from ideation to implementation;
- Providing the President and other senior leaders with insight and analysis on the operations;
- With the CFO, responsible for the financial management of the organization, including the development and implementation of the annual budget;
- Assessing risk when strategic decisions are made;
- Provide information and support to the Board of Directors;
- Attending meetings of the Board of Directors, Council, and other committees as needed to inform and advise;
- Ensuring that the flow of internal and external communication is timely and consistent;
- Planning and coordinating organizational meetings, retreats and internal special events;
- Identifying and providing recommendations on improvements across the organization;
- Develop and monitor the Executive Office budget;
- Represent EMILY’s List in key meetings and events; serve as a senior point of contact for partners and stakeholders; act as spokesperson for EMILY’s List when needed;
- Other duties as assigned.
- At least 10 years of campaign, advocacy, fundraising, political experience with at least 5 years experience in a Chief of Staff or similar role
- Proven success in project management, growth, marketing, or similar role
- A self-starter who takes initiative and is eager and effective at solving problems
- Strong interpersonal and team leadership and people management skills
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, highly independent environment and juggle multiple ongoing projects, responsibilities, and relationships
- Comfortable holding team members accountable to project deadlines and identifying areas in need of support
- Exceptional organizational, time management, and verbal and written communication skills
- Strong financial analysis and budget planning skills
The salary for this position is $220,000 and comes with a comprehensive benefits package. The starting pay for this position is equal to others at the same level throughout the organization. Candidates who exceed the minimum qualifications may be considered for a salary that exceeds this base salary. If you are selected for an interview, you will be contacted directly. No calls, please.
Our office is based in Washington, DC. This position is based in the DC office with a hybrid schedule requiring at least 3 days per week in office.
About EMILYs List
EMILYs List, the nation’s largest resource for women in politics, works to elect Democratic pro-choice women up and down the ballot and across the country with a goal of fighting for our rights and our communities. Our work is centered around a fundamental vision: Run. Win. Change the World. EMILYs List has raised $850 million in service to that vision and has helped Democratic women win competitive elections by recruiting and training candidates, supporting and helping build strong campaigns, researching the issues that impact women and families, running one of the largest independent expenditure operations for Democrats, and turning out women voters to the polls. Since our founding in 1985, we have helped elect the country’s first woman as vice president, 175 women to the House, 26 to the Senate, 20 governors, and over 1,500 women to state and local office. More than 40% of the candidates EMILYs List has helped elect to Congress have been women of color. Visit www.emilyslist.org for more information.
EMILYs List is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values a multicultural, diverse working environment. Applicants of diverse backgrounds are welcomed and encouraged to apply.
EMILYs List prohibits discrimination of employment, promotion, compensation, terms, conditions, or privileges of employment based on gender, disability, race, age, national origin, color, creed, sexual orientation, sex (including marital and parental status), gender identity and expression, religion, economic status, ethnic identity, veteran’s status, or any other basis prohibited by applicable law. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed by the person holding this position. This is not an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities. EMILYs List reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet organizational needs as necessary.