Vice President, Communications
Washington, DC /
Communications & Content /
Department: Communications and Content
Supervisor: Senior Vice President for Communications and Content
Supervisory Responsibilities: Communications Assistant; Director, Speechwriting & Editorial Services; Strategic Communications Director; Senior Director of Campaign Communications; National and Deputy Press Secretaries
FLSA Status: Exempt
The Vice President of Communications is a member of the Senior Leadership Team and is responsible for highlighting and amplifying the work of EMILYs List and the accomplishments of our endorsed candidates to the media and other targeted audiences.
The Vice President of Communications leads and manages a team of staff and consultants to execute on the organization’s goals. Successful applicants will be creative storytellers with experience in brand management, political campaigns and media outreach. They will support the mission of the organization and be a strategic partner in executing the organization’s goals.
The Vice President of Communications will join an experienced team of senior leaders who, together, are writing the next chapter of the nation’s largest resource for women in politics as we elect Democratic pro-choice women who run, win, and change the world.
Essential Job Functions
- Craft and refine messaging to tell EMILYs List story, from the work of the organization to the challenges women face in politics to the need for representation;
- Hire, manage and lead a team of talented communicators;
- Lead the development and execution of communications plans to amplify EMILYs List’s work as well as the work of our endorsed candidates and the need for women in leadership;
- Manage any rapid response needs for the organization;
- Lead the press team in efforts to pitch and prep for stories about EMILYs List, our staff and our candidates;
- Execute the strategies to amplify and manage EMILYs List’s brand;
- Collaborate with the comms team and staffers across the organization to deliver messaging and materials needed to reach targeted audiences;
- Participate in strategic planning for the communications team as well as the organization as a whole;
- Act as on-the-record spokesperson and press strategist;
- As needed, provide guidance, media training and debate prep for candidates.
- Perform other duties as assigned
- At least 8 years of experience in high-level, fast-paced, journalism, press, marketing, brand management or public relations
- Campaign or political experience and a clear understanding of our current political environment and the media cycle
- On-the-record experience and relationship with reporters
- Experienced manager of people and processes
- Ability to handle multiple projects at once, work well under deadlines and understand that communications and politics are not always a 9-6 job.
- Passion for electing Democratic pro-choice women and a commitment to the diversity and inclusion in both hiring and the day-to-day work of EMILYs List for our candidates, membership, partners, board of directors and staff
The salary for this position is $152,600 - $168,950 and comes with a comprehensive benefits package. The starting pay for this position is equal to others at the same level throughout the organization. If you are selected for an interview, you will be contacted directly. No calls, please.
Our office is based in Washington, DC. This position is based in the DC office with a hybrid schedule requiring at least 3 days per week in office.
About EMILYs List
EMILYs List, the nation’s largest resource for women in politics, works to elect Democratic pro-choice women up and down the ballot and across the country with a goal of fighting for our rights and our communities. Our work is centered around a fundamental vision: Run. Win. Change the World. EMILYs List has raised $850 million in service to that vision and has helped Democratic women win competitive elections by recruiting and training candidates, supporting and helping build strong campaigns, researching the issues that impact women and families, running one of the largest independent expenditure operations for Democrats, and turning out women voters to the polls. Since our founding in 1985, we have helped elect the country’s first woman as vice president, 175 women to the House, 26 to the Senate, 20 governors, and over 1,500 women to state and local office. More than 40% of the candidates EMILYs List has helped elect to Congress have been women of color. Visit www.emilyslist.org for more information.
EMILYs List is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values a multicultural, diverse working environment. Applicants of diverse backgrounds are welcomed and encouraged to apply.
EMILYs List prohibits discrimination of employment, promotion, compensation, terms, conditions, or privileges of employment based on gender, disability, race, age, national origin, color, creed, sexual orientation, sex (including marital and parental status), gender identity and expression, religion, economic status, ethnic identity, veteran’s status, or any other basis prohibited by applicable law. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed by the person holding this position. This is not an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities. EMILYs List reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet organizational needs as necessary.