Independent Expenditure Political Desk - Program Manager
Washington, DC /
WOMEN VOTE! /
Reports to: WOMEN VOTE! Independent Expenditure Program Director
Supervisory Responsibilities: none
FLSA Status: Exempt
Union Position: Yes
Cycle Position through December 31, 2022
EMILY’s List, the nation’s largest resource for women in politics, is searching for a political desk – program manager to join our WOMEN VOTE! independent expenditures team. The WOMEN VOTE! political desk – program manager runs the day-to-day implementation and tracking of EMILY’s List independent expenditures in an assigned set of races.
At EMILY’s List, you’ll be part of a dynamic team committed to electing Democratic pro-choice women up and down the ballot. Read on for more details about the job and about EMILY’s List.
The salary range for this position is $62,000 to $70,000 and comes with a comprehensive benefits package. The starting pay for this position is equal to others at the same level throughout the organization. Applications received by 11/22/21 will be given priority. If you are selected for an interview, you will be contacted directly. No calls, please.
Our office is based in Washington, DC. All positions are currently working remotely due to the pandemic.
Application Requirement: Excel Benchmark
You will find instructions below for a technology benchmark you must submit with your application. The recommended time to complete this task is 20 minutes. Please upload your completed Excel file with your application on the next page.
Essential Job Functions
- Be the independent expenditure-side go-to resource for detailed information on a set of assigned federal and non-federal campaigns;
- Research and track information like polling, campaign finances, TV competitives, election administration and press for assigned candidates, campaigns, and districts for internal organizational needs;
- Provide regular verbal and written updates and assessments on races to the independent expenditure team on developments in your assigned races;
- Assist in fact-checking program communications;
- Maintain program tracking system and calendar for all independent expenditure communications;
- Shepherd WOMEN VOTE! voter contact content and programs through internal and external processes;
- Represent the department on consultant calls and at coalition meetings;
- Assist with any other tasks, including scheduling of conference calls and meetings, as requested by the department;
- This position is likely to require some evening and weekend work leading up to key primary elections and election day in November.
- At least two cycles (4 years) of political or campaign experience, preferably in research, communications, or management;
- Proficient understanding and substantive experience with Microsoft Office systems. This is an Excel-heavy position;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills;
- Demonstrated sound political judgment;
- Applicants must be motivated self-starters, well-organized, detail-oriented and able to work and thrive in a fast-paced environment handling multiple assignments with tight deadline;
- Experience on independent expenditure work and/or paid media is a plus;
- All candidates should possess commitment and passion to elect Democratic pro-choice Women, as well as a commitment to the diversity of our candidates, membership, partners, and staff.
The program manager is in charge of handling detailed information for specific races on the timeline and costs of each piece of communication. This requires attention to detail and solid knowledge of Microsoft Excel. To this end, please create an Excel spreadsheet using the following scenario that emulates a traditional race budget. This spreadsheet should include the following information:
1. The job number for each mail piece
2. The approval date for each mail piece
3. The drop date for each mail piece (the date the piece mails)
4. How much each piece costs
5. The total cost for the entire mail program
6. Any additional information that you may think is helpful
You’ll use the information included on the next page to set up your spreadsheet. When you’ve completed setting up your spreadsheet, please make sure that it is formatted such that it is clearly legible, easy to follow and formatted attractively enough to be sent to a client. Save it using the following naming structure: YOUR LAST NAME_EXCEL_ DATE and upload it on the next page with your application.
NOTE: Please use Excel formulas to calculate costs. Rest assured that the scenario below does not include any trick language! Good luck!
Jane Doe, a candidate for Congress, has a five-piece mail plan. Each mail piece is assigned a unique code called a job number, and the job numbers for our Doe mail plan are DOE22_001, DOE22_002, DOE22_003, DOE22_004 and DOE22_005.
The first piece, DOE22_001, will go to a universe (called “Intro”) of 100,000 households and is a biographical piece. It will drop at the post office on October 4, 2022.
The next three pieces (DOE22_002, DOE22_003, DOE22_004, respectively) are on education, health care and the environment and all go to a smaller universe of 50,000 households (called “Issue”).
The last piece, DOE22_005, is a GOTV piece and goes to 75,000 households one week before the election. Election Day is November 8, 2022 (this universe is called “GOTV”).
The issue pieces will be dropped consecutively three business days apart, starting with the education mailer on October 12. Each mailing must be approved 5 business days before it drops.
The cost for printing the 50,000 and 75,000 universe is $0.50 per piece. The cost for printing at 100,000 is $0.25 per piece. Each mail piece also requires postage and shipping, and you should approximate $0.29 per piece for each mailer for those costs.
About EMILY’s List
EMILY’s List, the nation’s largest resource for women in politics, has raised over $700 million to elect Democratic pro-choice women candidates. With a grassroots community of over five million members, EMILY's List helps Democratic women win competitive campaigns – across the country and up and down the ballot – by recruiting and training candidates, supporting and helping build strong campaigns, researching the issues that impact women and families, running nearly $50 million in independent expenditures in the last cycle alone, and turning out women voters and voters of color to the polls. Since our founding in 1985, we have helped elect the country's first woman as vice president, 159 women to the House, 26 to the Senate, 16 governors, and more than 1,300 women to state and local office. More than 40% of the candidates EMILY’s List has helped elect to Congress have been women of color. After the 2016 election, more than 60,000 women reached out to EMILY's List about running for office laying the groundwork for the next decade of candidates for local, state, and national offices. In our effort to elect more women in offices across the country, we have created our Run to Win program, expanded our training program, including a Training Center online, and trained thousands of women.
EMILY’s List is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values a multicultural, diverse working environment. Applicants of diverse backgrounds are welcomed and encouraged to apply.
EMILY’s List prohibits discrimination of employment, promotion, compensation, terms, conditions, or privileges of employment based on gender, disability, race, age, national origin, color, creed, sexual orientation, sex (including marital and parental status), gender identity and expression, religion, economic status, ethnic identity, veteran’s status, or any other basis prohibited by applicable law. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed by the person holding this position. This is not an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities. EMILY’s List reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet organizational needs as necessary.