Head of New Product Introduction
South San Francisco, CA /
Product Development /
Founded in 2020 by MIT and Stanford Engineers and based in Silicon Valley, Empo Health is a seed-funded and NSF-supported startup developing revolutionary in-home health monitoring products.
We’re looking for an experienced new product introduction (NPI) expert to join our team and drive the transition of Empo Health’s physical products from proof-of-concept to commercialization, playing a critical role in building out our suite of in-home health monitoring products.
Empo Health’s first product is an in-home foot-scanning system that helps doctors and patients monitor for early signs of diabetic foot ulcers, and the team is hard at work preparing the world-class device and associated digital health platform for launch. This is a hands-on role – as our Head of NPI, you will be responsible for ensuring that Empo Health’s products ship. You will help review designs, bring up manufacturing lines and suppliers, and oversee certification testing to ensure that manufactured products meet design intent. In essence, you will be making sure that Empo Health’s products are made correctly and ship on time, as you work in the fast paced environment that comes with an early startup.
As Head of NPI, you’ll be responsible for leading the evaluation, selection, and bring up of manufacturers and suppliers for health monitoring products that serve as the data entry point for Empo Health’s digital health platform. You’ll work with other team members to ensure that the design and development process for all of our products considers design for manufacturing and assembly early enough in the design process to avoid time-consuming and costly redesigns later in the process. Your work will directly contribute to detecting the diabetic foot ulcers that impact millions of at-risk patients, potentially preventing amputations and saving lives.
In this role you will work closely with the founders and other early team members, and should be comfortable being a critical member of a small team. You should be comfortable breaking high-level directives into tangible tasks and setting your own direction.
If you’re passionate about creating seamless health monitoring devices that have the opportunity to expand access to high quality healthcare, and you want to work with an interdisciplinary team to build that future, then we’d love to hear from you!
This role is a full time position, and the location is hybrid-friendly, so long as you’re based in the USA.
- Work with founders and early team members to bring new health monitoring devices to market
- Collaborate cross-functionally with internal team members, outside partners, and suppliers to optimize designs for manufacturability, assemble-ability, supply chain risk reduction, and cost minimization
- Evaluate and select manufacturers and suppliers and bring up new products with them
- Deliver validation test builds in progressively increasing levels of fidelity and size to bring products into mass production
- Perform failure analysis on products that don’t meet validation tests to determine the root cause of the failures, and propose design or process improvements to correct the failures
- Lead certification testing of products to ensure they meet regulatory requirements for commercialization
You might be a good fit if you
- Have deep industry experience (20+ years) with manufacturing a wide variety of products with a wide variety of methods
- Have a network of manufacturers and suppliers you can call on to help solve novel manufacturing challenges and find leads for vendors
- Have previously been a part of certification testing processes for multiple products
- Have a rigorous problem solving approach for efficiently performing failure analysis on parts and processes that may have been designed by others
- Can meaningfully contribute to design reviews for both mechanical and electrical designs, particularly with an emphasis on design for sourcing, manufacturing, and assembly
- Are comfortable spending weeks+ traveling (potentially overseas) to bring up manufacturing lines
- Have excellent English verbal and written communication skills
- Are passionate about improving access to high quality healthcare
Even better if you
- Have worked in QMS-controlled design environments on non-invasive, low risk medical devices
- Have experience with consumer electronic products
- Have worked on weight scales
What We Offer
- Hybrid-friendly working environment with home office stipend
- "Take what you need” vacation and sick leave policy
- Generous coverage for medical, dental, vision, and mental wellness plans
- 12 week parental leave + part-time transition period at full pay
- Equity incentive options for early full-time employees
Promoting diversity of backgrounds is extremely important at Empo Health. Although we do our best to list everything we are looking for in a candidate, we may be missing skills and/or attributes that could make you a great fit for the role. If you think you might fit this role but don’t perfectly match the description above, then please still apply! We would hate for both of us to miss out on a great opportunity.