Software Engineer II - UX Engineer
Engineering – Front End /
Full time contractor
Focus: UX Engineer, Front end team
Founded in 2016 and headquartered in New York, Emptor is a fully remote B2B SaaS startup. We are focused on solving trust and safety issues in Latin America by using big data. Emptor currently serves large multinational technology firms operating in the region by building tools for operational decision making at a large scale. We have opportunities in infrastructure, architecture, web scraping, NLP, ML and data science.
About the team
This team is highly distributed across the globe and you will thrive in an environment of remote work and asynchronous communication. Our team members span a variety of timezones, genders, races, cultures, experience levels, professional backgrounds, personality types, and more. You're expected to have strong written communication skills and to excel in working relationships with people different than you.
Emptor is looking for a Software Engineer II to join our team, focused on user experience (UX) and design systems to build modern web applications. The UX engineer will work closely with other software engineers in a cross-functional team to design, prototype, implement, and evaluate design ideas for technical feasibility and accessibility, among other criteria.
Remote - Global team (13 different timezones)
- A minimum of 2 years’ experience in Software Engineering, Coding and Design.
- A degree in CS or a related field, or equivalent work experience
- Previous practical experience with design and UX concepts and familiarity with common UX tools (Figma, Adobe Creative Suite, Sketch, etc.)
- Experience using Git in a professional/workplace environment
- Awareness of SOLID principles
- Proficiency in the Python programming language
- Proficiency in the English language, both written and verbal, sufficient for success in a remote and largely asynchronous work environment
- Ability to work as part of a team
All levels - Practices and Behaviors:
- Takes direction and both positive and critical feedback in a constructive manner.
- Conducts code reviews in a timely manner and identifies discrepancies in logic pertaining to the story at hand.
- Follows organizational coding standards and guidelines, and holds teammates accountable for doing the same.
- Self-starter: Engages in their duties with initiative and with minimal direction
Software Engineer II - Practices and Behaviors:
- Identifies opportunities for unit tests and writes unit tests without assistance.
- Able to break down acceptance criteria into consumable tasks.
- Able to complete most development activities independently.
- Ability to provide some guidance to more junior engineers.
- Provides input during development.
- Participates actively in technical discussions.
Software Engineer II - Knowledge & Skills:
- Understands SOLID and practices on a daily basis.
- Has basic knowledge of common design patterns and their applications.
- Has basic understanding of Big O Notation and related time/space complexity concepts.
- Has an understanding of the programming language they are working in to design and refactor for performance and scalability.
- Has the ability to write SQL queries that join datasets as well as queries that include subqueries.
- General understanding and application of database performance best practices (e.g. index creation and usage, execution plan analysis).
- Intermediate understanding of web application programming and structure (e.g. HTML/JS/CSS).
- Common understanding of some system development methodologies (BDD, TDD, RAD, etc).
- Has a basic understanding of asynchronous and parallel tasking in Python.
- Has a basic understanding of AWS fundamental concepts.
Excited? Apply to the position and start your journey with us.
For more information on Emptor, what we do, what we value and the kind of service we provide, please visit https://www.emptor.io/