Emergency Veterinary Technician
Washington, DC /
Friendship Hospital for Animals – Technicians /
Friendship Hospital for Animals is seeking dedicated and enthusiastic veterinary technicians to join our team. Various shifts are available in our Emergency/Progressive Care Unit. Schedules will include at least one weekend day. A successful candidate would be dedicated to providing a high level of care to both our patients and clients, have the ability to work in a fast-paced environment, and be adaptable to a dynamic workload.
As a Patient Care Technician, you will provide compassionate nursing care to patients hospitalized in the PCU and act as advocate for all patients in your care. You will assist Urgent care doctors with exams and perform inpatient and outpatient treatments per their instruction.
What is in it for you?
We provide excellent compensation and generous benefits. Benefits package includes but is not limited to: medical, dental, vision, hospital provided life insurance, 401K, paid time off, CE compensation, pet care discounts, metro discounts, and the list goes on!
We are located in Tenleytown, DC with easy access to public transportation and the various attractions of the city and surrounding area. DC is a dynamic city with not only a strong sense of history, but also a culture that is undeniable. If you are looking for work/life balance look no further for access to numerous museums, landmarks, hiking, biking, kayaking, breweries, wineries and every food you could ask for!
Signing bonus for LVT/CVT/RVT from ANY state or at least 2 years of applicable experience. Bonus will dispersed half on first paycheck and half after 90 days of employment.
- Participate in the team with a positive attitude
- Triage incoming patients and perform outpatient diagnostics and treatments
- Perform technical skills including, but not limited to, phlebotomy, IV catheter placement, diagnostic imaging, and blood pressure measurement.
- Perform CPR under the direction of the supervising veterinarian
- Understanding of commonly used medications and basic medical math
- Assist Veterinarians in sedated procedures and other duties
- Aide in the training and mentoring of all assistants and junior technicians.
- Provide technical and nursing care to patients while using critical thinking skills.
- Provide compassion and excellent client care to the owners of our patients.
- Perform hospital sanitation and maintain treatment stock as needed.
- Participate in continuing education and actively work to increase skill set.
- Generate solutions for problems or challenges in the department.
- Other duties as assigned
Skills and Abilities:
- Must have the following tech skills: Administer medications orally and through IV with and without IVC, Jugular venipuncture, Cystocentrisis, Intubation of both dogs and cats.
- Must be able to manage patients in a cage bank on your own, provide updates, conduct rounds, and complete discharges.
- Animal handling skills and at least a basic understanding of animal behavior and low stress handling techniques
- Ability to remain calm and multi-task in a stressful environment.
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively both verbally and in writing with a variety of individuals
- Ability to work positively as a team player.
- Ability to learn, apply new skills and follow through with directions/tasks
- Ability to effectively problem solve and make decisions as needed.
- Ability to learn and use computers, technical machinery and laboratory equipment.
- Ability to lift 40 lbs.
- Ability to stand for 8 hours
Meet our hospital:
Established in 1936, Friendship Hospital for Animals provides high quality, compassionate veterinary care to the dogs and cats of the Washington D.C. metro area. Our vision is to be the most medically progressive small animal hospital in the country while adhering to our core values of teamwork, collaboration and respect. We are AAHA accredited and provide wellness, emergency and specialty care with over 60 veterinarians on staff, including 13 rotating interns and over 20 specialists.
Friendship has specialty departments including emergency/critical care, radiology, anesthesiology, oncology, ophthalmology, neurology/neurosurgery, cardiology, dermatology, internal medicine/hemodialysis, rehab therapy, and surgery. We have MRI, CT, a separate dedicated ICU, long-term ventilator capability, and hemodialysis onsite. In addition to providing clients and their pets the highest quality of medicine and service, Friendship Hospital is also a fun and rewarding place to work and grow.
Excellent compensation and generous benefits are offered.
Living in Washington, DC:
Friendship is proud to be a part of the Washington DC community. Our diverse and historic neighborhoods provide enrichment, entertainment, and excitement to new and long-term residents alike. While known for its monuments and museums, the District is also known for its parks and pet-friendly accommodations. Most residents live within a 10-minute walk of a park - including Rock Creek Park, the oldest urban park in the country, popular for hiking and outdoor activities. DC's Kennedy Center and Lincoln Theater offer world-class entertainment and theater. Top universities such as Georgetown, Howard, George Washington, and American (situated around Friendship's campus) attract students and scholars from around the world. Public transportation includes metrorail, metrobus, electric scooters, Capital Bikeshare, and Car2Go. Enjoy DC's varied and eclectic food scene, celebrate a win with the Washington Capitals and Washington Nationals, visit the century-old cherry blossoms or take a weekend trip to nearby Shenandoah Valley, Harper's Ferry, or Annapolis.