Washington, DC /
Friendship Hospital for Animals – Assistants /
As a Veterinary Assistant, you will provide compassionate patient and client care while assisting primary care veterinarians in the exam room and on the treatment floor. Veterinary Assistants obtain and record medical histories, educate clients on wellness protocols and home care, assist doctors with administrative tasks, and provide medical care to canine and feline patients.
- At least one year of proven past experience helping customers
- Minimum of 1 year veterinary experience preferred
- Excellent communication skills
- Attention to detail and accuracy
- A compassionate, attentive and respectful attitude
- A collaborative spirit- a willingness to support the team, be flexible and dependable
- A strong ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment
- An ability to manage stress and emotions
- An ability to manage time and priorities with minimal direct supervision
- A willingness to work non-traditional hours such as weekends, evenings, and a share of holidays
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assists veterinarians and facilitates Primary Care appointments
- Establishes and maintains effective client relationships
- Reviews scheduled appointment information and patient history prior to appointment
- Obtains accurate patient history from clients and records information in digital medical record
- Performs safe and effective restraint appropriate for patient temperament and breed to allow examination and medical procedures
- Performs procedures including nail trims, ear cleanings, medication administration, etc.
- Collects, labels, and delivers diagnostic samples to in-house laboratory
- Accurately records and invoices procedures/diagnostics and dispensed medications
- Explains medical conditions, treatment options, and recommended care
- Assists Primary Care doctors with administrative tasks and client follow-up
- Maintains a clean hospital environment to ensure the safety of patients, staff, and clients
- Is courteous to all staff members and clients
- Other duties as assigned
Meet our hospital:
Established in 1936, Friendship Hospital for Animals provides high quality, compassionate veterinary care to the dogs and cats of the Washington D.C. metro area. Our vision is to be the most medically progressive small animal hospital in the country while adhering to our core values of teamwork, collaboration and respect. We are AAHA accredited and provide wellness, emergency and specialty care with over 60 veterinarians on staff, including 13 rotating interns and over 20 specialists.
Friendship has specialty departments including emergency/critical care, clinical pathology, radiology, anesthesiology, oncology, ophthalmology, neurology/neurosurgery, cardiology, dermatology, internal medicine/hemodialysis, rehab therapy, and surgery. We have MRI, CT, a separate dedicated ICU, long-term ventilator capability, and hemodialysis onsite. In addition to providing clients and their pets the highest quality of medicine and service, Friendship Hospital is also a fun and rewarding place to work and grow.
Excellent compensation and generous benefits are offered.
Living in Washington, DC:
Friendship is proud to be a part of the Washington DC community. Our diverse and historic neighborhoods provide enrichment, entertainment, and excitement to new and long-term residents alike. While known for its monuments and museums, the District is also known for its parks and pet-friendly accommodations. Most residents live within a 10-minute walk of a park - including Rock Creek Park, the oldest urban park in the country, popular for hiking and outdoor activities. DC's Kennedy Center and Lincoln Theater offer world-class entertainment and theater. Top universities such as Georgetown, Howard, George Washington, and American (situated around Friendship's campus) attract students and scholars from around the world. Public transportation includes metrorail, metrobus, electric scooters, Capital Bikeshare, and Car2Go. Enjoy DC's varied and eclectic food scene, celebrate a win with the Washington Capitals and Washington Nationals, visit the century-old cherry blossoms or take a weekend trip to nearby Shenandoah Valley, Harper's Ferry, or Annapolis.