Veterinary Dermatology Coordinator
Washington, DC /
Friendship Hospital for Animals – Support Staff /
The Dermatology Coordinator helps to facilitate both internal and external referrals to the service. They must have an intense focus on providing a high level of client service to both our clients and our referring veterinarians. They must be knowledgeable about the purpose of why clients should pursue consultation with a Dermatologist, as well as have an in-depth knowledge of the procedures performed. They need to work closely with the dermatology technician to ensure the schedule moves efficiently. They will need a basic level of cross-training as a technical assistant so that they can help out as needed.
- Schedule appointments
- Monitor email and voicemail boxes
- Generate and send referral letters
- Relay information from the veterinarian to the client
- Familiarize self about commonly diagnosed conditions and treatments
- Familiarize self with medical tests and their purpose
- Process incoming medical record documents
- Communicate accurately and timely with referring veterinarians and clients
- Communicate with FHA staff about dermatology schedule, protocols, etc.
- Help to improve the quality, timeliness, and efficiency of communication from the department
- Generate accurate estimates
- Assist clients with additional referrals, acquiring medication, and any/all other situations
Requirements, Skills, and Abilities
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written
- Ability to multi-task in a stressful environment
- Ability to speak and hear by phone or in person
- Ability to read, write, and type in English
- Ability to work as a team player
- Ability to learn and use computers and medical records software
- Ability to master large volumes of detailed information
- Previous experience providing customer service in the veterinary field a plus
- Previous experience assisting veterinarians or veterinary technicians as plus
Meet our hospital:
Established in 1936, Friendship Hospital for Animals provides high quality, compassionate veterinary care to the dogs and cats of the Washington D.C. metro area. Our vision is to be the most medically progressive small animal hospital in the country while adhering to our core values of teamwork, collaboration and respect. We are AAHA accredited and provide wellness, emergency and specialty care with over 60 veterinarians on staff, including 13 rotating interns and over 20 specialists.
Friendship has specialty departments including emergency/critical care, clinical pathology, radiology, anesthesiology, oncology, ophthalmology, neurology/neurosurgery, cardiology, dermatology, internal medicine/hemodialysis, rehab therapy, and surgery. We have MRI, CT, a separate dedicated ICU, long-term ventilator capability, and hemodialysis onsite. In addition to providing clients and their pets the highest quality of medicine and service, Friendship Hospital is also a fun and rewarding place to work and grow.
Excellent compensation and generous benefits are offered.
Living in Washington, DC:
Friendship is proud to be a part of the Washington DC community. Our diverse and historic neighborhoods provide enrichment, entertainment, and excitement to new and long-term residents alike. While known for its monuments and museums, the District is also known for its parks and pet-friendly accommodations. Most residents live within a 10-minute walk of a park - including Rock Creek Park, the oldest urban park in the country, popular for hiking and outdoor activities. DC's Kennedy Center and Lincoln Theater offer world-class entertainment and theater. Top universities such as Georgetown, Howard, George Washington, and American (situated around Friendship's campus) attract students and scholars from around the world. Public transportation includes metrorail, metrobus, electric scooters, Capital Bikeshare, and Car2Go. Enjoy DC's varied and eclectic food scene, celebrate a win with the Washington Capitals and Washington Nationals, visit the century-old cherry blossoms or take a weekend trip to nearby Shenandoah Valley, Harper's Ferry, or Annapolis.