Veterinary Assistant - Hollin Hall Animal Hospital
Alexandria, VA /
Hollin Hall Animal Hospital – Assistants /
full-time or part-time
What are we looking for?
The Veterinary Assistant is responsible for carrying out tasks such as husbandry, basic nursing care, diagnostic procedure set up, patient restraint, basic patient procedures, client education, customer service and team communication that may be delegated by the veterinarian, veterinary technicians, and/or customer service representatives. Veterinary Assistants contribute to practice efficiency by taking ownership of delegated technical work and administrative details.
Hollin Hall Animal Hospital is a full-service veterinary facility, located in Alexandria, Virginia, providing the finest professional veterinary health care in Northern Virginia. The staff at Hollin Hall offers the best in personal attention to you and your pet, along with state-of-the-art medical diagnostics, dental procedures, routine checkups and surgical procedures. We pride ourselves in developing long-term relationships with our clients, and building trust and strong bonds is valuable to us so that we have your confidence as we go forward with sometimes difficult decisions concerning treatments and outcomes. We want you to join our team!
We know there are a lot of animal hospitals out there, so why choose us?
- A place to grow: Our commitment to training and Medical Advancement means you’ll have the opportunity to grow your skills and knowledge as well as providing a path for advancing your career.
- A team to support you: At each shift, you’ll find colleagues ready to work together — we’ll be here when you need an extra hand, a moment to laugh, or a shoulder to cry on.
- A focus on your work-life balance: We’re committed to offering a benefits package that supports your life and wellbeing and thanks you for the care you give our patients every day.
Our benefits package:
- Competitive salary and bonus potential
- Medical, Dental, Vision & Life Insurance, along with a company contribution to an HSA account
- Paid parental, family, and medical leave
- Flexible scheduling
- 401k with company match
- Continuing education allowance & professional development stipend
- Paid time off, including a bank of PTO and floating holiday time
What will you do?
- Assists veterinarians and facilitates Primary Care appointments
- Establishes and maintains effective client relationships
- Reviews scheduled appointment information and patient history prior to appointment
- Obtains accurate patient history from clients and records information in digital medical record
- Performs safe and effective restraint appropriate for patient temperament and breed to allow examination and medical procedures
- Performs procedures including nail trims, ear cleanings, medication administration, etc.
- Collects, labels, and delivers diagnostic samples to in-house laboratory
- Accurately records and invoices procedures/diagnostics and dispensed medications
- Explains medical conditions, treatment options, and recommended care
- Assists Primary Care doctors with administrative tasks and client follow-up
- Maintains a clean hospital environment to ensure the safety of patients, staff, and clients
- Adheres to safety protocols at all times.
- Takes initiative to maintain a clean, orderly and appropriately stocked working environment.
- Increases team efficiency by preparing exam rooms and treatment areas for the specific needs of the upcoming patients.
- Understands and educates clients on basic and intermediate medical concerns for patients, including preventative care protocols and common medical conditions.
- Effectively restrains patients following Fear Free and/or Low Stress Handling Protocols
- Maintains patient care logs and other recordkeeping as indicated, including use of practice management software.
- Prepares and/or administers medications and injections as directed by veterinarian.
- Properly cares for surgical instruments, maintain packs, and maintain surgical area.
- Prepares lab samples and maintains lab area.
- Competently reads lab samples, such as fecals, urinalysis, cultures, and others assigned by DVM, in alignment with the state practice act.
- Performs diagnostic radiographs, following proper safety protocols, and in alignment with the state practice act.
- Assists DVM and/or CVT with surgery prep and/or surgical procedures, in alignment with the state practice act.
What do you have?
- A love for animals and a passion for the veterinary field
- Minimum of 1 year of customer service experience
- Minimum of 1 year veterinary experience preferred
- A collaborative spirit- a willingness to support the team, be flexible and dependable
- A strong ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment
- A willingness to work non-traditional hours such as weekends, evenings, and a share of holidays
- High school diploma or equivalent is required.
- Intermediate computer and software skills required, including: Word, Outlook, and other office management systems and software.
- Previous customer service experience required.
- Previous veterinary experience required.
- Has completed (or will complete within 90 days of hire) advanced training such as Fear Free, Approved Veterinary Assistant Program, or other relevant program or training.
- Shows accountability
- Demonstrates adaptability in times of change and resiliency when faced with challenges or setbacks
- Applies strong listening and communication skills
- Shows confidence in decision making and problem solving
- Has strong attention to detail
- Possesses eagerness to teach and willingness to learn
Hollin Hall Animal Hospital + Encore Vet Group: Your work family
Hollin Hall Animal Hospital is a full-service veterinary facility, located in Alexandria, Virginia, providing the finest professional veterinary health care in Northern Virginia. The staff at Hollin Hall offers the best in personal attention to you and your pet, along with state-of-the-art medical diagnostics, dental procedures, routine checkups and surgical procedures. We pride ourselves in developing long-term relationships with our clients, and building trust and strong bonds is valuable to us so that we have your confidence as we go forward with sometimes difficult decisions concerning treatments and outcomes.