Washington, DC /
Friendship Hospital for Animals – Support Staff /
Friendship Hospital for Animals, established in 1936, is a medically progressive hybrid general practice, multi-disciplinary specialty and emergency center located in Washington, DC, with 70+ veterinarians including rotating interns, and over 250 team members. Friendship is growing annually and expects to continue to add to veterinary offerings over the next 5 years.
The Hospital Director for Friendship Hospital for Animals (FHA) leads operations for the hospital and is the liaison between FHA and Encore Vet Group. The Hospital Director will directly manage the Practice Manager for Primary Care and the Practice Manager for Specialty/Emergency Care, and partner with the Medical Directors of FHA. This position will work closely with Encore’s Director of Specialty Operations to ensure they are aware of organizational-level priorities. The role has responsibility for top and bottom line fiscal performance of the hospital, as well as hospital-specific objectives that increase quality, efficiency, and effectiveness.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in related discipline – required. Graduate degree or relevant certifications – preferred
- 10+ years of Operational Leadership in Veterinary medicine in roles of increasing scope, complexity, and authority – required.
- Specialty and/or Emergency experience - required
- Demonstrated ability to grow teams, be change agile, and scale for growth
- Demonstrated track record of performance
Critical Qualities and Behavioral Competencies
- Exhibit Encore Practice Values Through Established Values-Based Behaviors
- Bring Your Best Self Every Day
- Pride and Accuracy in Execution
- Critical & Strategic Thinking Skills
- Willingness to Learn
- Eagerness to Teach
- Confidence in Decision-Making & Problem Solving
- Strength in Listening & Communication Skills
- Strength in Project and Change Management
- Strength in Medical Knowledge and Skills
- Professional Growth and Planning Mindset
Working Conditions and Physical Efforts
- Must be able to travel as needed to the Encore home office, likely a few times annually
- Project timelines and work volume/deadlines may require more than 40 hours per week to complete essential duties of this job.
- Ability to stand, walk, stoop, kneel, crouch, and climb as well as manipulate (lift, carry and move) up to 50 pounds.
- Requires good hand-eye coordination, arm-hand-finger dexterity with the ability to grasp, and visual acuity to use a keyboard and operate necessary equipment.
- Ability to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral or diagram form and to solve problems involving several variables.
- Occasionally exposed to airborne particles and illness from patients and chemicals related to animal care and office equipment.
- Environment where pets are present.
- Must be able to handle stress with a professional demeanor
- Must be able to provide flexible work schedule
Compensation and Benefits
- The opportunity to grow with a forward-thinking, industry leading veterinary company
- The opportunity to learn from industry leaders and specialists
- Comprehensive Medical, Dental and Vision program with access to Health and Wellness Program
- Company paid Basic Life and Accidental Death & Dismemberment (AD&D) Insurance
- Voluntary supplemental benefit offerings
- Generous company paid time off and floating holidays
- Paid parental leave
- Company sponsored 401(k) retirement program with company match
- Identify talent, develop and coach direct reports to create engagement and ensure development of future operational leaders within the hospital
- Regular cross-functional communication that creates collaboration and avoids working in silos
- Inspire and lead hospital operations by representing values, vision and mission of Encore
- Successfully direct, plan, implement and execute key organizational initiatives
- Foster a collaborative and trusting relationship within the hospital
- Develop plans and direct and manage Capital Expenditures that maximize patient care and ROI
- Responsible for profit and loss management ensuring the optimal performance of facility operations to achieve or exceed budgets and key performance indicators.
- Other duties assigned that make a positive impact on the organization
Meet our hospital:
Established in 1936, Friendship Hospital for Animals provides high quality, compassionate veterinary care to the dogs and cats of the Washington D.C. metro area. Our vision is to be the most medically progressive small animal hospital in the country while adhering to our core values of teamwork, collaboration and respect. We are AAHA accredited and provide wellness, emergency and specialty care with over 60 veterinarians on staff, including 13 rotating interns and over 20 specialists.
Friendship has specialty departments including emergency/critical care, clinical pathology, radiology, anesthesiology, oncology, ophthalmology, neurology/neurosurgery, cardiology, dermatology, internal medicine/hemodialysis, rehab therapy, and surgery. We have MRI, CT, a separate dedicated ICU, long-term ventilator capability, and hemodialysis onsite. In addition to providing clients and their pets the highest quality of medicine and service, Friendship Hospital is also a fun and rewarding place to work and grow.
Excellent compensation and generous benefits are offered.
Living in Washington, DC:
Friendship is proud to be a part of the Washington DC community. Our diverse and historic neighborhoods provide enrichment, entertainment, and excitement to new and long-term residents alike. While known for its monuments and museums, the District is also known for its parks and pet-friendly accommodations. Most residents live within a 10-minute walk of a park - including Rock Creek Park, the oldest urban park in the country, popular for hiking and outdoor activities. DC's Kennedy Center and Lincoln Theater offer world-class entertainment and theater. Top universities such as Georgetown, Howard, George Washington, and American (situated around Friendship's campus) attract students and scholars from around the world. Public transportation includes metrorail, metrobus, electric scooters, Capital Bikeshare, and Car2Go. Enjoy DC's varied and eclectic food scene, celebrate a win with the Washington Capitals and Washington Nationals, visit the century-old cherry blossoms or take a weekend trip to nearby Shenandoah Valley, Harper's Ferry, or Annapolis.