Detroit, Michigan, USA
G&A – Finance /
We’re Endless West, makers of molecular spirits and creators of the next generation of wine and spirits. Our work has already attracted significant interest from a range of people — whiskey enthusiasts, scientists, members of the culinary world, creatives in design, technology, and fashion — across the country. And we’re just getting going.
We’re relentlessly curious, optimistic enough to run after ambitious ideas, and skeptical enough to analyze every angle and consider every option. We support each other as colleagues and care about each other as people, believing that the health of our business can be measured by the health of our team. We are obsessed with leveraging scientific learning, creative storytelling, and business expertise to explore the limits of what’s possible.
Everyone is welcome at Endless West. We know diverse teams build better products and we are committed to creating an inclusive culture built on a foundation of respect for all individuals.
About the Role
Endless West is looking for a hard-working and ambitious Junior Accountant to help us build out accounting operations in our new beverage alcohol production facility in Detroit, Michigan. Reporting initially to the CFO – and thereafter to the Controller – this position will own our accounts payable and expense reporting functions and be a contributor to full-cycle accounting. It will be crucial that you are systems-oriented and (once you’ve received training) can work very independently on a large amount of data while balancing competing (and changing) priorities.
This is a great opportunity to get ground-level exposure to the inside of a rapidly scaling startup, and once you’ve demonstrated comfort taking on responsibility, we’d love to help you grow and learn more!
Our Company and HQ is based in Detroit, Michigan. This position will be based out of our manufacturing facility there and requires an in-person presence in the offices. Down the road, we may be open to discussing a hybrid arrangement – but for now it’s especially important that you are someone who wants to be in an office environment on a regular basis.
What You'll Do:
- Be the owner of our automated A/P platform. Take responsibility for inputting and processing vendor invoices (receive, send for approval, review/post, set up payment).
- Onboard new vendors and ensure we’re collecting all necessary documentation from them.
- Use our banking platform to submit manual wires and bill payments, as needed.
- Manage our Accounting inbox. Respond to vendor queries and reconcile their statements.
- Own the expense reporting process. Communicate deadlines, review reports for compliance, post reports into the ERP, and process them for payment.
- Understand the inventory purchase process and review the purchase order transactions created by the Operations Team to ensure their accuracy.
- Actively work to help improve payment terms with our recurring vendors by ensuring we pay on-time, and requesting credit terms increases where needed or warranted.
- Assist the CFO & Controller by providing inputs to facilitate cash forecasting and reporting.
- Assist with some responsibilities in the month/year-end process. This will include bank and balance sheet reconciliations, as well as submitting journal entries for the Controller to review.
- Prepare some monthly tax filings (primarily state-level reporting) and submit other compliance reports that are assigned to you. Alcohol is a highly regulated industry, so we have a lot of these.
- Some administrative tasks including filing, organizing, etc.
- Other ad hoc tasks as requested.
- You have a Bachelor’s degree in Accounting/Finance or Business, or even 1-2 years of experience in a junior accounting role. This is an entry-level position. We’re looking for someone willing to learn and hit the ground running. Bonus points if you have (or are pursuing) your CPA designation, but it’s not a requirement.
- You’re personable, enthusiastic, outgoing – you don’t fit the mold of the “stereotypical accountant”. You’re a strong team player who can integrate and work well with a variety of personalities, and you don’t mind a casual office environment.
- You’re confident with great speaking skills. You can communicate effectively with both finance and non-finance peers. You can convince people to help you get things done.
- You are detail-oriented, process-oriented, and independently-responsible. Not only do you learn quickly, but you can work effectively without close supervision. You understand how to prioritize what needs to be done immediately and recognize what can wait.
- You are flexible and can adapt quickly to new tasks, situations, and people.
- You like the idea of taking ownership for your function and see yourself as a high performer.
- You want to learn new things and are always trying to improve yourself. You’re eager to proactively find and suggest improvements to processes and the way we work with others.
- You’re systems-oriented – you like technology and want to use it to do things more efficiently.
- You understand the importance of your role – you deliver on deadlines, and are available for overtime (we try to avoid it, but sometimes it’s necessary).
- You have strong computer skills and an above-average understanding of Microsoft Office.
Why Endless West?
We’ve got great benefits…
- Competitive compensation, including equity
- Medical, dental, and vision
- Company contributions to Commuter Benefits, FSA, Dependent Care FSA, and HSA
- 401k with matching
- Life and AD&D, Short-term Disability, Long-term Disability, Critical Illness, and Accident Insurance
- Employee Assistance Program
- Equity Education and Tax Advisory Services
- Paid Parental Leave
- PTO and Paid Company Holidays
We’ve got the unique culture that you’ve been looking for...
- A small, collaborative team. We don’t believe in hierarchy for hierarchy’s sake.
- Smart, friendly colleagues.
- Actual autonomy and agency. We choose empowerment over micromanagement.
- A team that values EQ as much as IQ.
- A team that values hard work but believes in the importance of self-care and taking meaningful breaks.
- An environment that encourages empathetic debate. We state cases, defend positions, argue productively, and make decisions together. We don’t have any issues with being wrong. People’s opinions are actively sought out and valued.
- An environment where we not only acknowledge the hard work and successes of our teammates, but also celebrate them.