Greater Boston Area
Data Science & Actuarial
Energetic Insurance is developing novel risk management solutions to unlock exponential growth in renewable and distributed energy. We are backed by one of the largest insurance companies in the world and our flagship product enables financing of commercial solar projects. We are venture backed and have received grant funding from the US Department of Energy, the Commonwealth of Massachusetts and support from multiple incubator programs.
The Data Engineer is a hybrid technical role between data science and software engineering. In the role of Data Engineer, you will be responsible for designing and prototyping new analyses for Energetic Insurance and improving and maintaining existing ones. This role will require the Data Engineer to integrate effectively with the entire company by collaborating with sales, underwriting, new product development and strategic planning.
- Development of new risk models to support product development, including sensitivity testing, scenario generation, and hypothesis testing
- Testing new risk models to ensure consistent results
- Improving existing analyses based on new available data sources
- Helping maintain existing corpus of analyses and computer code
- Assisting underwriting team with quantitative analysis
- Identifying and evaluating publicly available and proprietary data sets, gathering data, and ETL
An Ideal Candidate Will Have
- Deep understanding of full data science process from hypothesis to reporting results
- Knowledge and familiarity with software design/architecture
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Excellence in documentation, attention to detail, organization, developed oral/written communication skills
- Ability to effectively multi-task and wear multiple different hats
- The desire to work in a fun, fast-paced start-up environment
- Bachelor's in Science, Engineering, Mathematics, Computer Science, or other related field
- Strong, demonstrable background using at least one of R, Python, C#/Java, C/C++.
- Familiarity with various data access protocols including HTTP and SQL
- Understanding of functional and object-oriented programming paradigms
- Experience using Git or other source control tools
Due to the level of interest in this role we request a few short questions and a code sample with your application. Upon review we will reach out to schedule an interview.