Underwriting Operations Manager
Greater Boston Area
Energetic Insurance is developing novel risk management solutions to unlock exponential growth in renewable and distributed energy. We are backed by one of the largest insurance companies in the world and recently announced our flagship product to enable financing of commercial solar projects. We are venture backed and have received grant funding from the US Department of Energy, the Commonwealth of Massachusetts and support from multiple incubator programs.
We are seeking team members looking to apply traditional analytical skills in a non-traditional insurance environment. In this role you will help us continue to develop and refine our underwriting platform.
Why is this job so unique?
In addition to becoming a key member of an exciting startup revolutionizing the CleanTech industry, you will also be a driving force behind the automation of an insurance underwriting process at the center of the InsurTech movement. Half of your time will be spent on project risk underwriting, the other half will be working with data scientists and software developers to automate aspects of your job to increase throughput and productivity. You will have first-hand experience leveraging modern analytical tools to create more efficient underwriting processes.
Energetic Insurance has developed a novel underwriting methodology and accompanying analytical package to drive scale in commercial solar. We are seeking an experienced Underwriting Manager to help us handle growing interest.
Major Responsibilities Include:
- Drive the back-end underwriting process to qualify and price projects
- Work closely with the executive team to craft a data acquisition and underwriting modeling strategy
- Own KPIs for underwriting efficiency and underwriting roadmap development
- Assist the data science and software development teams to incorporate their work into the underwriting platform
- Assist with finalizing underwriting guidelines, policies and procedures
- Train and mentor staff on best practices in underwriting
Attributes of An Ideal Candidate:
- Mastery of key concepts in the financial risk management
- The ability to think creatively to develop an underwriting strategy for novel insurance products in a unique risk category
- Strong moral compass with ability to balance between critical near-term details and big picture long-term impacts.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced startup environment and manage competing priorities
- High EQ; ability to collaborate in a team
- Attention to detail
- Problem solver mentality
- Intellectual curiosity
Experience & Qualifications:
- Undergraduate or graduate studies in a relevant field
- At least 3 years working experience at a financial institution or insurance company
- CPCU, ARM designation or other relevant certificate/designation (preferred)
- Interest in renewable energy and solar in particular
- Experience working on innovative new products and innovation strategy (or at least a strong interest in innovation)
Salary commensurate with experience and will include equity participation. This job is located in Boston, MA. Occasional travel is expected with the ability to work remotely 1 day per week. Energetic Insurance is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages people from diverse backgrounds to apply.