Greater Boston Area /
Data Science & Actuarial /
Energetic Insurance is developing novel risk management solutions to unlock exponential growth in renewable and distributed energy. We are backed by one of the largest insurance companies in the world and our flagship product enables financing of commercial solar projects. We are venture backed and have received grant funding from the US Department of Energy, the Commonwealth of Massachusetts and support from multiple incubator programs.
In the role of Data Scientist, you will be responsible for designing and prototyping new analyses for Energetic Insurance and incrementally improving existing analyses and code. This role will require the Data Scientist to integrate effectively with the entire rest of the company;
• with underwriting for assessing risk for various industry verticals,
• with product development for establishing the methodology to price new products, and
• with software engineering for implementing and integrating models into production code
Some sample projects include:
• Enhancing and improving our core risk models to price risk for new and innovative insurance products
• Enhancing the user experience (the underwriters) using these tools
• Analyzing electricity and energy markets
• Navigating and maintaining internal databases
• and much more.
The vast majority of the work will be using the R programming language.
- Developing new risk models to support product development, including sensitivity testing, scenario generation, and hypothesis testing
- Testing new risk models to ensure consistent results
- Maintaining existing models making updates as necessary
- Assisting underwriting team with deal-specific quantitative analysis
- Identifying and evaluating publicly available and proprietary data sets, gathering data, and ETL
- Adhering to software engineering best practices for documentation, version control, design, and deployment
- Collaborating with other teams across Energetic
An Ideal Candidate Will Have
- Strong capacity and desire for on-the-job learning both in technical skills and subject matter
- Ability to learn independently
- Ability to problem solve by looking at "the big picture" and solve problems with the tools on-hand.
- Deep understanding of full data science/analytics process from hypothesis to reporting results
- Knowledge or familiarity with basic software design/architecture is a plus
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Excellence in documentation, attention to detail, organization, developed oral/written communication skills
- Ability to effectively multi-task
- The desire to apply your technical skills in a fun, exciting, fast-paced, environmentally-focused start-up environment
- Bachelor's degree in lab or social science, computer science, mathematics, engineering, or other related field or equivalent experience
- Familiarity with a programming language - examples R, Matlab/Octave, Python, Excel, Microsoft VBA, C/C++ C#/Java, etc.
- Demonstrated ability to conduct analyses
- Understanding of modeling concepts
Salary commensurate with experience. This job is located in Boston, MA. Energetic Insurance is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages people from diverse backgrounds to apply.