R&D Engineer (Mechanical Design)
San Leandro, CA /
ENGINEERING – ENGINEERING /
Energy Recovery (NASDAQ: ERII) creates technologies that solve complex challenges for industrial fluid-flow markets worldwide. Building on our pressure exchanger technology platform, we design and manufacture solutions that make industrial processes more efficient and sustainable. What began as a game-changing invention for desalination has grown into a global business advancing the environmental sustainability of customers’ operations in multiple industries. Headquartered in the San Francisco Bay Area, Energy Recovery has manufacturing, research and development facilities across California and Texas with sales and on-site technical support available globally. For more information, please visit www.energyrecovery.com.
ERI is seeking a qualified candidate for an immediate full-time job opening for the position of R&D Engineer, located in San Leandro, CA or Katy, TX and reporting to the Senior Director of R&D. The R&D department is a dynamic group of engineers with a wide range of backgrounds, several of them holding PhD and Masters degrees. We are looking for a talented and energetic candidate who can thrive in a team environment, support R&D efforts in new technology/new product development as well as provide R&D support to enhance and expand current product lines.
The position requires a sound knowledge base in mechanics of solids, CAD modeling and Computational methods for analyzing stresses and deformation of solid components and assemblies. Expertise in use of CAD packages such as SolidWorks and FE Analysis tools such as ANSYS is required. The candidate will spend bulk of his time providing mechanical design support to various NTI/NPI projects as well as support validation testing.
Major Duties & Responsibilities:
- Support R&D projects (NTI/NPI) involving fluid machines such as pressure exchangers, centrifugal and reciprocating pumps, turbines, turbochargers etc.
- Design fluid machinery components and assemblies and draw detailed engineering drawings with appropriate GD&T while optimizing for manufacturability & quality.
- Leverage commercial FEA solvers such as ANSYS to evaluate the design life and robustness of the mechanical components/system over the full range of operational conditions.
- Design experiments and test setups to validate the design by simulating the operational environment in the lab with appropriate instrumentation, controls & data acquisition systems.
- Develop validation test plans and work closely with testing team to confirm and validate model predictions. Use commercial (e.g. Matlab) and open-source (e.g. Python) software to process test data and draw physics based insights and inputs for models.
- Participate in the entire development cycle of a fluid machine including 1-D sizing (mechanical & hydraulic), engineering analyses, detailed design, DFMEA, design/selection of rotor-bearing systems, seals & secondary flow paths, validation test rig development, experimental validation, RCAs & release to manufacturing.
- Provide R&D support for product engineering and other business/corporate functions, when requested.
- Follow ERI’s internal technology and development processes (PDLCM/RDF) and drive rigorous design reviews / documentation at each phase.
- Contribute to development of validated design tools and design practices.
- Perform other duties & projects as assigned.
Skills & Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering (or related discipline) with 3+ years of relevant industry experience or a Master’s degree with 2+ years of experience required.
- Proficiency in commercial CAD packages such as SolidWorks required.
- Expertise in commercial FEA solvers such as ANSYS Workbench required.
- Experience with design of mechanical systems, developing manufacturing drawings, GD&T, DFMEA, drawing up inspection & quality control plans highly desirable.
- Experience with design of experiments & test rigs, instrumentation, controls, systems engineering software such as LabVIEW and transient simulations of fluid & hydraulic systems using Simulink/Simscape would be a plus.
- Experience with design, analysis and testing of rotodynamic & reciprocating fluid machines a plus.
- Familiarity with engineering standards such as ASME/API/ANSI/UL/CE highly desirable
- Must possess a demonstrated ability to work in a team environment, manage multiple tasks, and be goal oriented.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
We are an EOE/AA employer committed to workforce diversity.
No recruiters or phone calls.