Sr. R&D Engineer/Principal Technologist
San Leandro, CA or Katy, Tx /
ENGINEERING – ENGINEERING /
Energy Recovery (NASDAQ: ERII) creates technologies that solve complex challenges for industrial fluid-flow markets worldwide. Building on our pressure exchanger technology platform, we design and manufacture solutions that make industrial processes more efficient and sustainable. What began as a game-changing invention for desalination has grown into a global business advancing the environmental sustainability of customers’ operations in multiple industries. Headquartered in the San Francisco Bay Area, Energy Recovery has manufacturing, research and development facilities across California and Texas with sales and on-site technical support available globally. For more information, please visit www.energyrecovery.com.
ERI is seeking a qualified candidate for an immediate full-time job opening for the position of Principal Technologist / Engineer, located in San Leandro, CA or Katy, TX and reporting to the Senior Director of R&D. The R&D department is a dynamic group of engineers and technicians with a wide range of backgrounds, several of them holding PhD and Masters degrees. We are looking for a talented and energetic candidate who can thrive in a team environment, lead teams and deliver on R&D projects for new technology/new product development.
The position requires a well-rounded expertise in mechanical design, analysis and experimental validation of turbo machines and other high-pressure fluid equipment. A sound knowledge base in mechanics of fluids and solids is required. This position is responsible for hands-on development – component design, analysis, prototype fabrication, experimental validation and production release of rotating equipment such as pressure exchangers, pumps, turbines, turbochargers etc. The candidate will spend bulk of his time working with a multidisciplinary team to develop disruptive technologies and products based on our proprietary isobaric pressure exchangers. The position also requires strategic outlook for technology and products toward their commercial applications.
Major Duties & Responsibilities:
- Lead R&D projects (NTI/NPI) involving fluid machines such as pressure exchangers, centrifugal and reciprocating pumps, turbines, turbochargers etc.
- Lead / participate in the entire development cycle of a fluid machine including 1-D sizing (mechanical & hydraulic), engineering analyses, detailed design & layout prep, design/selection of rotor-bearing systems, seals & secondary flow paths, validation test rig development, experimental validation & release to manufacturing.
- Leverage commercial tools such as SolidWorks for CAD, MatLab for 1-D/2-D analysis, ANSYS Mechanical for structural analysis, CFX/Fluent for hydraulic flow path design optimization etc.
- Design prototype validation test rigs, integrate sensors, controls, data acquisition hardware/software (LabVIEW based) to obtain high quality data, perform validation testing in the lab and support pilot/beta testing at remote field sites.
- Follow ERI/R&D processes such as PDLCM/RDF and drive rigorous design reviews and documentation at each phase
- Work closely as an R&D Technical Lead with the Project Management Office, Product Engineering & Business Units to successfully deliver on NPI/NTI projects.
- Perform other duties & projects as assigned.
Skills & Requirements:
- Master’s degree in Mechanical Engineering with 5+ years of relevant industry experience or PhD degree with 3+ years of experience desired. This role may be Sr. Eng. or a Principal Eng. depending on educational and industrial experience as well as an internal assessment throughout the interview process.
- Proficiency in commercial CAD packages such as SolidWorks required.
- Proficiency in design of hydrodynamic and hydrostatic bearings and secondary flow systems highly desirable.
- Familiarity with use of a commercial FEA tool such as ANSYS for structural analysis.
- Hands on experience with testing and experimentation, sensors/transducers, controls/data acquisition highly desirable.
- Experience with mechanical and hydraulic design of rotodynamic & reciprocating fluid machines a plus.
- Experience with thermodynamics modeling, heat exchangers, compressors and design of HVACR equipment a plus.
- Must possess a demonstrated ability to work/lead in a team environment, under pressure, manage multiple tasks, and be goal oriented.
- Ability to oversee and execute on assigned projects from start to completion in a highly analytical, detailed and precise manner.
- Familiarity with engineering standards such as ASME/API/ANSI/NFPA etc.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Position requires up to 10% domestic and international travel.
We are an EOE/AA employer committed to workforce diversity.
No recruiters or phone calls.