Senior R&D Engineer (Thermodynamics / Refrigeration / Energy Systems)
San Leandro, CA /
ENGINEERING – ENGINEERING /
Energy Recovery (NASDAQ: ERII) creates technologies that solve complex challenges for industrial fluid-flow markets worldwide. Building on our pressure exchanger technology platform, we design and manufacture solutions that make industrial processes more efficient and sustainable. What began as a game-changing invention for desalination has grown into a global business advancing the environmental sustainability of customers’ operations in multiple industries. Headquartered in the San Francisco Bay Area, Energy Recovery has manufacturing, research and development facilities across California and Texas with sales and on-site technical support available globally. For more information, please visit www.energyrecovery.com.
ERI is seeking a qualified candidate for an immediate full-time job opening for the position of Senior R&D Engineer, located in San Leandro, CA or Katy, TX and reporting to the Senior Director of R&D. The R&D department is a dynamic group of engineers and technicians with a wide range of backgrounds, several of them holding PhD and Masters degrees. We are looking for a talented and energetic candidate who can thrive in a team environment and lead R&D teams and projects for new technology/new product development.
The position requires industry experience and a well-rounded expertise in thermodynamic modeling & analysis of refrigeration, heating and cooling systems. A sound knowledge base in thermodynamics, heat transfer and mechanics of fluids is required. ERI has launched a unique energy recovery system for natural refrigerant based vapor compression cycles and the candidate will drive innovation and robust engineering in this area to increase adoption of this technology. The candidate is expected to work closely with the systems integration & testing team to reduce the design to practice, obtain validation data and refine/optimize the system. The position also requires strategic outlook for technology and products towards enhancing their commercial applications.
MAJOR DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Lead R&D projects (NTI/NPI) involving use of energy recovery systems (PX) in refrigeration, heating & cooling systems to maximize performance benefit.
- Model & optimize vapor compression cycles incorporating energy recovery systems and real world performance of various components such as compressors, evaporators, gas coolers, valves etc…
- Model/simulate transient behavior of such systems using commercial tools and develop robust control schemes to enhance operability, reliability and performance
- Optimize system design, size system components and design/execute component & system validation plans
- Leverage commercial tools such as SolidWorks for CAD, MatLab for 1-D/2-D analysis, ANSYS Mechanical for structural analysis, CFX/Fluent for hydraulic flow path design optimization etc.
- Follow ERI’s internal technology and development processes (PDLCM/RDF) and drive rigorous design reviews / documentation at each phase.
- Provide technical support to business units, manufacturing, project engineering and marketing teams as needed.
- Perform other duties & projects as assigned.
SKILLS & REQUIREMENTS:
- Master’s degree or higher in Mechanical Engineering with concentration in thermal systems/refrigeration/HVAC/Energy systems or similar field. 3+ years of relevant industry experience required.
- Familiarity with transcritical refrigeration systems using R744 highly desirable.
- Proficiency in thermodynamic modeling of vapor compression refrigeration / heating / cooling and air-conditioning systems required.
- Proficiency in selection and analysis of refrigeration system components such as heat exchangers, compressors etc., required.
- Proficiency in steady state and transient simulation modeling of refrigeration systems using commercial tools such as Thermoflex, Aspen, TRNSYS, CoolPack, CoolTool, PackCalcPro, Modelica or equivalent highly desirable.
- Proficiency with commercial CAD packages such as SolidWorks required.
- Familiarity with CFD analysis using ANSYS CFX/Fluent or Star CCM+ desirable.
- Hands on experience with testing and experimentation, sensors/transducers, controls/data acquisition highly desirable.
- Must possess a demonstrated ability to work/lead in a team environment, under pressure, manage multiple tasks, and be goal oriented.
- Ability to oversee and execute on assigned projects from start to completion in a highly analytical, detailed and precise manner.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Position may require up to 10% travel.
Additional Incentives and Benefits
- Medical Insurance, Vision, Dental & 401K Plan Retirement Match.
- $1,500 Uncapped Referral Bonus.
- Free lunch provided daily.
- On-site gym.
- Certification and employee growth/training provided.
- Mental Health Awareness and Wellness Weeks provided to all employees.
- Amazing Company Culture and Ethics.
We are an EOE/AA employer committed to workforce diversity.
No recruiters or phone calls.