Technology Venture Fellowship (Remote)
Engine Ventures /
Established in 2020, The Tech Venture Fellowship is a paid, part-time program for current graduate students and postdocs to support shaping the next generation of Tough Tech companies and investments.
Engine Ventures invests in the next generation of Tough Tech founders to solve the world’s biggest problems. We provide capital, operational expertise, and a powerful academic, commercial, and governmental network to build and scale companies unlocking massive opportunities in climate change, human health, and advanced systems.
The Technology Venture Fellowship program is rooted deeply in exploring breakthrough science and engineering and its applications, while exposing Fellows to early-stage company formation and venture investments in Tough Tech. Over the course of five months, the Fellows will work with our investment team on opportunities ranging across the venture capital process.
The Fellowship Goals
Technology appraisal & market analysis:
- Develop a comprehensive view of a specific Tough Tech sector. Assess key scientific breakthroughs and provide understanding of the market dynamics
- Identify and connect with key players, competitors, and relevant academic and industry experts
- Form actionable investment theses around your research and present work to The Engine Ventures team
- Support internal investment diligence reports and discussion by evaluating a company’s scientific/ technology risk, competitive landscape and commercial strategy
Drive local engagement:
- Embed themselves within the local early-stage commercialization ecosystem
- Identify and connect with local PIs and institutes/departments at the forefront of scientific and engineering commercialization
- Event attendance and outreach
- Working with the broader venture team on onward opportunities
Opportunities in Tough Tech
Previous Tough Tech Fellows have gone on to join The Engine ecosystem as:
- Founders and CEOs of Tough Tech companies
- Academic jobs at leading institutions
- Consulting and investment roles
- Key employees at both Engine Ventures or within Engine Ventures portfolio companies
We are looking for candidates that are:
- Motivated by The Engine’s mission to enable Tough Tech entrepreneurs to create world-changing companies
- Have the ability to dedicate 8-10 hours per week to Engine Ventures
- Fast and eager learners, naturally curious and passionate about new technologies and their applications
- Proactive and self-motivated
- Have the ability to present and communicate effectively and engage remotely
We are seeking a postdoc or PhD student in the second half or final year. The candidate must be an accomplished and entrepreneurially curious scientist or engineer, preferably with multidisciplinary backgrounds across Engineering, Chemistry, Material Science, Biology, Physics, Computation or Medicine, and is highly engaged with their institute beyond their own research group.
NOTE: This paid internship opportunity, so if you are a foreign national, please make sure your visa allows you to receive financial compensation.
LOCATION and TRAVEL: This is a remote position with an expectation to travel locally.
How do I apply?
We are currently reviewing applications on a rolling basis. If after reviewing your application, you are selected to continue the interview process, we will reach out to set up a meeting.