Fall Platform Co-Op
Cambridge, MA /
Fall Platform Co-Op
The Engine is looking for a motivated, collaborative, and execution-oriented individual to join our team for the Fall as a Co-Op. We believe that by building a team that is diverse across many dimensions -- race, gender, ethnicity, sexual orientation, educational background, thought process, and more -- we will be able to better serve our portfolio of Tough Tech companies as they solve big global challenges. The ideal candidate is a self-starter who is comfortable in a fluid work environment, takes ownership of projects and workstreams, and is able to synthesize and communicate information clearly and concisely.
Roles and Responsibilities:
This is a cross-functional role that supports The Engine’s Platform team in helping Tough Tech founders grow their businesses. The Platform is an interdisciplinary set of professionals who work to strategically assist and accelerate the work of the broader firm as well as our portfolio companies. As a member of our Platform team, you’ll significantly add to our efforts to elevate our capital stack, strategic coverage, marketing, community, government relations & networks, programming, and operations efforts. Your work will include the following, with potential for other opportunities as well:
• Join the The Engine’s Platform team in delivering high-value founder, network, and strategic programming, supporting our Portfolio founders in building world-changing companies. This could include workshops, briefings, and our annual Tough Tech Summit.
• Research and compile information about key partners and their ability to facilitate growth for our portfolio.
• Help scale digital tools for information sharing within the portfolio and The Engine team.
• Assist The Engine’s marketing and content efforts including PR, social media, and written content.
• Contribute to efforts to measure and quantify the impact of The Engine’s work as well as that of its portfolio companies.
Skills and Qualifications:
• Currently enrolled students with the ability to be full-time for the Fall semester
• Motivated by The Engine’s mission to enable Tough Tech entrepreneurs to create world-changing companies.
• Experience in community building & programming in a fast-paced environment, entrepreneurship, and/or Tough Tech
• Flexible in mindset and can thrive in an agile and iterative environment
• Experience working with CRMs and Pitchbook a plus but not required--if you haven’t used these tools before, then we will train you!
Outcomes of the Experience:
• Understanding of how the Platform side of a venture capital firm works, including programming, resources, partnerships, and marketing.
• A well-researched understanding of key strategic partners for ToughTech
• A broad understanding of our portfolio companies
• Familiarity with some of the tools used by venture capital firms to inform and measure their work
About The Engine:
The Engine, launched by MIT, invests in early-stage companies solving the world’s biggest problems through a convergence of breakthrough science, engineering, and leadership. We accelerate the path to market for Tough Tech companies through the combination of capital, infrastructure, and network. Since opening its doors in June 2017, The Engine has committed resources to 28 companies and created an unprecedented framework for bringing tough tech from the lab to the commercial world. We also operate a 30,000 square foot facility of office, labs, and machine shop at our headquarters in Cambridge, MA. The Engine deeply values diversity and is committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We are an equal opportunity employer. We consider all qualified applicants equally for employment. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, protected veteran status, religion, physical or mental disability, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, or any other basis protected by law, ordinance, or regulation.
Please submit a resume and cover letter via the form on Lever.