Advanced Systems Senior Associate
Venture Fund /
Engine Ventures is looking for a motivated, collaborative, entrepreneurial, and analytical individual to join our team as an Advanced Systems Senior Associate. The ideal candidate blends technical knowledge with operational business experience along with deep empathy for the journey of Tough Tech founders. This role will focus on the rapidly developing field of Advanced Manufacturing/Materials Design, Robotics, Computing, and Artificial Intelligence / Machine Learning (AI/ML). The ideal candidate has both technical and business experience in these areas and is excited to explore startup opportunities across these specialized fields. We are looking for a self-starter who is comfortable in a fluid work environment and able to communicate information clearly and concisely.
Senior Associates are critical assets to Engine Ventures investment team, bridging key functions including network development in the entrepreneurial community, leading diligence efforts on investment opportunities, working with Partners to negotiate deal terms, and supporting the founders as they build their companies. Senior Associates are expected to launch headfirst into the work of growing Engine Ventures, our platform, our networks and our capabilities to serve our portfolio. The Engine Fund is a lean and highly collaborative team, and this position reports to the Partners.
- Develop and maintain a broad network of researchers and entrepreneurs to increase deal flow, support diligence efforts, and expand Engine Ventures' internal capabilities.
- Perform business and technical diligence on new investment opportunities and produce investment memos.
- Work with Partners to structure investments in Tough Tech startups.
- Support the portfolio of companies post-investment as they grow their teams, consider strategic priorities, develop business models, and raise follow-on capital.
- Represent Engine Ventures and our mission while also advocating for Tough Tech in the startup and academic ecosystems.
- Be flexible to take on new responsibilities as they arise, to enable goals across fund programs, events, content, etc.
Skills & Qualifications
- Strong alignment with Engine Ventures' mission to enable Tough Tech entrepreneurs to create world-changing companies.
Outstanding mental agility, adaptability, creativity, and problem-solving skills.
- Empathy for the entrepreneurial journey and ability to build trust while driving results with entrepreneurs and Engine Ventures teammates.
- A dedicated team player committed to collaboration.
- Superior communication, listening, and critical thinking skills.
- Comfortable with diverse engineering and scientific disciplines.
- Strong analytical skills, both qualitative and quantitative.
- 5+ years of relevant work experience with a demonstration of entrepreneurial activity in industry, research, or a combination of both. Direct experience in a Tough Tech startup is a plus.
- Graduate degree in a scientific/technical/business field.
- Control engineering and advanced manufacturing (e.g. circular manufacturing, waste valorization, life cycle assessment, advanced catalysts, precision/smart manufacturing).
- Chip design and manufacturing process, ranging from an understanding of the global semiconductor supply chain to emerging chip architectures (e.g. neuromorphic, quantum, photonic computing), novel materials (e.g. 2D materials, gallium nitride, topological insulators), and design methodologies using artificial intelligence.
- Robotics including foundational aspects (e.g. kinematics, dynamics, control, path planning), cutting-edge developments (e.g. soft robotics, modular/swarm robotics, human-robot collaboration), and control/design strategies using artificial intelligence.
- Deep understanding of state of the art in artificial intelligence, including the design, training, testing, fine-tuning, deployment, and operations of large models such as ChatGPT, DALL-E, etc. Must be able to keep up with research in academia, industry, and open-source community into emerging architectures/methods/data sources, particularly those utilizing AI in scientific domains.
Please send a resume and cover letter to apply.
Engine Ventures invests in the next generation of Tough Tech founders: providing capital, operational expertise, and a powerful academic, commercial, and governmental network to build and scale companies unlocking massive opportunities in climate change, human health, and advanced systems. For more information, visit Engine Ventures.