Lab Operations Intern
Cambridge, MA /
About The Engine:
The Engine, launched by MIT, invests in early-stage companies solving the world’s biggest problems through a convergence of breakthrough science, engineering, and leadership. We accelerate the path to market for Tough Tech companies through the combination of capital, infrastructure, and network.
Since opening its doors in June 2017, The Engine has committed resources to 31 companies and created an unprecedented framework for bringing tough tech from the lab to the commercial world. We also operate a 30,000 square foot facility of office, labs, and machine shop at our headquarters in Cambridge, MA.
The Engine is looking for a motivated, collaborative, and execution-oriented individual to join our Lab Operations Team. We have a lean operations team and are looking for the right individual to support our Lab Operations Management. We believe that by building a team that is diverse across many dimensions -- race, gender, ethnicity, sexual orientation, educational background, thought process, and more -- we will be able to better serve our portfolio of Tough Tech companies as they solve big global challenges. The ideal candidate is a self-starter who is comfortable in a fluid work environment, takes ownership of projects and work streams, and is able to synthesize and communicate information clearly and concisely.
- Current students enrolled in a Bachelors degree program in Biological or Life Sciences discipline
- Passion for learning and research
- Self starter and able to be autonomous
- Mission driven and interested in supporting Tough Tech
- Stocking and maintaining Laboratory Consumables Inventory on a weekly basis
- Perform routine laboratory organization and cleaning; weekly audits and safety checks
- Assist the Laboratory Operations Manager with biomedical and hazardous waste inspections and removals
- Support the Laboratory Operations Manager and resident companies with as needed laboratory tasks
- Testing and support for software systems that support our lab operations
This is a flexible position and we are willing to work around most schedules. Please indicate your availability in your cover letter.