Community Operations Associate
Cambridge, MA /
The Engine is looking for motivated, fast-paced individuals to join our team and who are excited to help build a tough tech community in our new facility. We are hiring for a Late July start date.
About The Engine:
The Engine opened its doors in June of 2017 to founders of early-stage companies working on disruptive technology. Founded by MIT, The Engine’s mission is to provide capital, resources, and comprehensive support to help founders build the next generation of world-changing companies. We are growing to a new 155,000 SF building in Central Square, Cambridge in September 2022. Our building will include offices, meeting spaces, bio & chem labs, and maker/fabrication space.
What is a Community Operations Associate?
Our Community Operations Team is small, so everyone will collaborate and help each other by taking on any task— big or small— and maintaining a "can do" attitude. The team will work together to ensure that guests and residents feel well cared for, the physical space is functional and organized, and events are well-planned and run smoothly. Some work will be independent while other work may require collaboration with other members of the team or The Engine staff.
Areas of Responsibility
- Serve as account manager for resident companies including managing company requests, new staff onboarding, and general oversight of resident experience
- Monitor building badges and keys; program after-hours access to building; periodically update database system to ensure accurate informationAct as communications point-person to member companies for internal events, offerings, and building updates
- Maintain database system; add new companies and residents; update rental agreements and process flow information for users on a regular basis
- Anticipate and prepare move-in/move-out of new companies and residents; understand their needs at all times
- Assemble and move furniture between offices when needed; ensure basic cleaning of vacant spaces
- Clean & tidy kitchen and common areas throughout the day; brew coffee; set-up team lunch; replenish snacks; run & empty dishwasher
- Greet visitors warmly and ensure an efficient hand-off to their host
- Provide support with event planning of all kinds; place and receive catering orders; set-up/breakdown furniture; work with host to ensure all preparation details are addressed
- Setup printer drivers and VoIP phones; troubleshoot conference room projectors, Apple TV, audio system, printers and wifi issues; conduct updates when necessary
- Maintain relationships with facilities team and applicable vendors; triage issues and place service calls; schedule routine equipment service and warranty appointments
- Download, scan and reconcile credit card invoice receipts on a weekly basis
- Assist the Engine staff with projects & complete other errands and tasks as needed
Qualifications of an ideal candidate
- Mission-oriented, energetic and upbeat with the resilience and demeanor to meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment, while remaining calm and composed
- Effective communication skills
- Highly value teamwork
- Take ownership over tasks and follow them through to completion
- Detail-oriented and very organized, with solid time management skills
- Independent, reliable, and willing to learn
- Curious about tech with the capacity to learn and provide basic tech support
- Feel comfortable with basic power tools (e.g. using a drill)
- Bring a fresh perspective and new ideas for improving experience and efficiency
- Appropriately social with fellow team members, guests, and staff
- A Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent
- Relevant professional work experience
- The ability to work in-person on a full-time basis from Monday through Friday, including some early mornings and evenings
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and Google Apps
- Ability to lift 35 lbs.
What we offer:
-A mission-driven work environment and team, and the opportunity to work with world-class Tough Tech founders
-Competitive compensation, based on experienceHealth, Dental,Vision Insurance
The Engine values diversity and is an equal opportunity employer by choice. We consider all qualified applicants equally for employment. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, protected veteran status, religion, physical or mental disability, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, or any other basis protected by law, ordinance, or regulation.