Senior Financial Analyst, Finance/Operations Team
Cambridge, MA /
Finance & Fund Ops /
The Engine is seeking a highly motivated, collaborative, analytical individual to join our team as a Senior Financial Analyst within the Finance/Operations/Capital Stack team. We believe that by building a team that is diverse across many dimensions -- race, gender, ethnicity, sexual orientation, educational background, thought process, and more -- we will be able to identify, invest in and support the best Tough Tech companies in the world as they solve big global challenges.
This position will work closely with CFO/COO as well as senior colleagues in Finance/Ops team, to manage key financial reporting and HR processes, as well as analysis across critical business decisions. The role will also provide support to The Engine’s investment team and portfolio companies as needed.
The successful candidate will help implement the core financial processes for the business including annual budgeting, expense management, cost modeling for the different services, quarterly financial reviews; support fund operations; identify and drive ad hoc business projects; in addition to providing project support to the Engine investment portfolio companies as they scale.
- Use financial skills, including performing financial and ad hoc analyses using Excel, to provide recommendations based on results to senior management for strategic decision-making
- Provide financial models and forecasting for accelerator, management companies and portfolio
- Work to optimize systems, vendors and financial partners
- Implement process improvements, automation and standardization across the HR Finance function
- Develop financial models through benchmarking and process analysis, provide cost projections and variance analysis for Engine and select portfolio companies
- Analyze and report on current financial status and make recommendations for improvement
- Participate in budgeting (for departments and projects). Compare anticipated and actual results and identify areas of improvement
- Review and establish financial, HR and IT policies
- Assist in the expense management review and approval process, along with other monthly close activities
- Assist hiring managers to design job descriptions, hiring and onboarding plans
- Manage online recruiting platform; coordinate interview processes and candidate assessment and debrief
- Maintain confidentiality of financial information and investment decisions
- Other duties as needed
Skills and Qualifications:
- Strong alignment with The Engine’s mission to enable Tough Tech entrepreneurs to create world-changing companies
- BA/BS degree in finance, accounting or a related field
- 4 years of relevant finance or consulting experience with increasing levels of responsibility
- Highly proficient excel skills required
- Skills in ERP, expense management platforms, HR platforms, and/or tableau, a plus.
- Demonstrated ability to take responsibility/ownership of projects to achieve outcomes
- Excellent organizational and project management skills including prioritizing, time management, and meeting deadlines
- Ability to build trust and drive results with entrepreneurs and Engine teammates
- Dedicated team player committed to collaboration
- Ability to deal with ambiguity and competing objectives in a fast paced environment
- Superior listening and communication skills; ability to present findings in a compelling way
About The Engine: The Engine, launched by MIT, invests in early-stage companies solving the world’s biggest problems through a convergence of breakthrough science, engineering, and leadership. We accelerate the path to market for Tough Tech companies through the combination of capital, infrastructure, and network. Since opening its doors in June 2017, The Engine has committed resources to 28 companies and created an unprecedented framework for bringing tough tech from the lab to the commercial world. We also operate a 30,000 square foot facility of office, labs, and machine shop at our headquarters in Cambridge, MA.
The Engine Fund Invests long-term capital in startups that need time to make an impact. We develop founders from technical pioneers to company leaders by providing them with capital, entrepreneurial knowledge, expertise, inspiration, and guidance.
The Engine Network Facilitates the creation of long-term mutually beneficial relationships between founders, startups, corporates, government, venture capital, among others.
The Engine Infrastructure Provides access to specialized labs, equipment, tools and space, both on-site and through a network of partner facilities, necessary to build transformative technologies economically and efficiently.
A mission-driven work environment and team, and the opportunity to work with world-class Tough Tech founders
Competitive compensation, based on experience
Health, Dental, Vision Insurance
The Engine deeply values diversity and is committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We are an equal opportunity employer. We consider all qualified applicants equally for employment. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, protected veteran status, religion, physical or mental disability, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, or any other basis protected by law, ordinance, or regulation.
Apply: Please submit a resume and cover letter via the form on Lever