Director of Research & Analytics
Cambridge, MA /
The Engine is seeking a collaborative, naturally-curious, analytical, motivated leader to join the team and
lead our Research and Analytics function. This function works collaboratively with our investment and
platform teams, with portfolio companies, and on internal Engine research that contributes to publications
and other content put into the world by The Engine to build and support the Tough Tech ecosystem. The
Director of R&A leads and coordinates their own team. This role reports to the Platform Partner.
Roles & Responsibilities
Lead as well as do the Research and Analytics function.
Lead and conduct work related to landscapes driven by a new investment opportunity/areas and
Tough Tech investment areas (internal content development and others).
Work on and delegate projects as tied to portfolio companies (commercial, scientific, business,
technology, and investment landscapes, research and analytics to support product development,
investment, and partnerships).
Conduct as well as delegate & oversee part of due diligence on potential new companies in
collaboration with the investment team.
Work and support projects across the organization. Take on new responsibilities as they come up
to enable goals across the fund, programming, content and network.
Review of external competitions/judging as well as preparation for external engagements on
specific topic areas.
Engage with outside parties on behalf of the Engine (faculty, corporates, government and more)
Support for foundry activities.
Identify and attract top talent across research institutes (PhDs, Postdocs) as part of the team for
the function and in building future relationships
Relevant Prior Experience & Capabilities
- Strong alignment with The Engine’s mission to enable Tough Tech entrepreneurs to create world-changing companies.
- Ability to execute, delegate, and identify resources needed with high quality in a fast paced environment.
- Strong research skills, both qualitative and quantitative.
- Experience in leading small collaborative teams preferred.
- Dedicated team player committed to collaboration (embraces team of teams approach).
- 5+ years experience in industry, research, consulting or ideally, a combination of them.
- PhD in a scientific/technical field.
- Comfortable and excited by looking across diverse engineering and scientific disciplines.
- Experience in scientific/engineering work and leadership in more than one area or at the convergence of disciplines
- Areas of interests: materials, chemistry, biology, engineering, process design & manufacturing, computing, etc.