Head of Communications & Marketing
Cambridge, MA /
Head of Communications & Marketing
The Engine is looking for a strategic, creative, collaborative, and execution-oriented individual to join our team as Head of Communications & Marketing. The ideal candidate is a self-starter who is comfortable in a fluid work environment, takes ownership of projects and work streams, and is able to synthesize complex scientific and technology related topics, while communicating information clearly and concisely.
The Head of Communications & Marketing will work collaboratively with the broader team to tell the story of The Engine and its portfolio companies to the world. This person will lead the implementation of the overall communications strategy. Proactive management of the communications including corporate narrative, messaging, media relations, executive presentations, website, digital engagement and social media strategy and content direction.
The Engine team is an interdisciplinary set of professionals who work to strategically assist and accelerate the work of the broader firm as well as our portfolio companies. The Head of Communications & Marketing is responsible for developing the firm's narrative, creating earned and owned communications campaigns to amplify the brand and tell the story of The Engine and its portfolio companies to the world. This is also an exciting opportunity to work with early Tough Tech founders to bring innovative ideas and scientific breakthroughs to life.
Roles & Responsibilities
- Proactive and coordinated management of The Engine’s communications strategy including firm narrative, messaging, presentations, media relations and more;
- Thought leadership and personal profile building for the firm’s leadership;
- Work across all channels, including media relations, social media, etc;
- Assisting portfolio companies in developing early and effective messaging and communications (i.e. developing initial messaging and positioning, announcing milestone moments such as financing);
- Ensure accurate firm branding across all communications.
Skills & Qualifications
- 8+ years of communications, marketing, public relations or related experience
- Degree in marketing, communications, journalism, or related discipline
- Flexible in mindset and can thrive in an agile and iterative environment
- Venture Capital and/or Agency experience is a plus
- Can think strategically and creatively
- Execution oriented and can manage multiple workflows
- Able to influence and build trust at the executive level
- Established media relationships across business, technology, healthcare, science and sustainability is a plus
- Familiarity with media database tools required (such as Meltwater, Cison, Businesswire)
About The Engine
The Engine, launched by MIT, invests in early-stage companies solving the world’s biggest problems through a convergence of breakthrough science, engineering, and leadership. We accelerate the path to market for Tough Tech companies through the combination of capital, infrastructure, and network. The Engine has $672 AUM, has invested in 37 companies across two funds, and is developing the Tough Tech ecosystem in the Boston/Cambridge region. We also operate a 30,000 square foot facility of office, labs, and machine shop at our headquarters in Cambridge, MA. The Engine deeply values diversity and is committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We are an equal opportunity employer. We consider all qualified applicants equally for employment. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, protected veteran status, religion, physical or mental disability, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, or any other basis protected by law, ordinance, or regulation.
Apply: Please submit a resume and cover letter via the form on Lever.