Infrastructure Engineer II
Envoy makes workplaces work better. With a focus on the details, we craft beautiful, modern software that elevates the workplace experience. Companies like Slack, Pinterest, Spotify, Nike, and American Express have worked with Envoy to welcome over 30 million visitors to more than 10,000 locations around the world. We are proudly backed by Andreessen Horowitz, Menlo Ventures, Initialized Capital, and many others.
Our mission is to challenge the status quo of workplace technology. This idea started at the front desk, where we set a new standard for visitor sign-in. Now, we’re looking around the office—to the mailroom, meeting rooms and beyond—and asking how can we make this better, too? We envision a world where technology is woven through our workplaces, all of it working together to make our time there delightful.
If this world sounds exciting, we’d love for you to help us build it.
ABOUT THE ROLE:
We’re looking for a systems person. You might call yourself a systems, dev tools, infra, or dev ops engineer, or Someone Who Makes Things Work. All you really care about is using tech to help people and enable teams to be better and faster, ensuring systems scale, perform, and are secure with appropriate efficiency.
Our team is a mix of product engineers creating beautiful, finely polished experiences and backend specialists focusing on scale, reliability, security, and performance. Challenging the status quo of workplace technology is a big problem with almost every type of technical challenge, so we look for fully-formed engineers that love solving problems and finding the best tools for the job.
We value being a top-notch organization with a strong engineering-driven culture, and have the same high standards with our code, systems, and people. We value learning and growth (and not being bored) and hire diverse, well-rounded, communicative people we can envision being friends with and trusting. Our projects tend to be 2 engineers max, so trust and accountability is required for us to work. Also helps us keep processes & overhead low. We appreciate that we've built a reasonably-sized, high-powered team so far (61 employees including 29 engineers) and are always striving to be the best place to work we can be.
If this sings to you, come join us!
- You will own a small component or project, guiding it from inception through completion in a timely manner.
- You design solutions to medium complexity problems, managing simplicity, completeness, performance, and risk-tolerance.
- You will seek and incorporate reviews; handle testing, instrumentation, deployment, and monitoring.
- You will provide thoughtful, constructive code reviews.
- You will take on mentorship of more junior engineers, highlight their accomplishments, and help them find their way in the organization.
- You will participate in an on-call rotation, applying your expertise to solve problems where you’re familiar, or helping to find the right person to solve the problems where you’re not.
Skills & Experience
- You have a background and experience in Infrastructure, DevOps, SRE, etc. development — a Computer Science degree (or comparable) and several years’ working experience.
- You possess a deep understanding of computer science fundamentals: data structures, algorithms, and strategies.
- You have in-depth knowledge of multiple IaaS, PaaS providers, frameworks, and/or specialized systems. You are able to discern and articulate the relative merits of each.
- You have knowledge of how the internet and networking works (i.e. DNS, HTTP, TLS, Certificates, etc) and the tools and services that enable people and devices to connect to services (e.g., browsers, CDNs, proxies, etc).
- You have some knowledge of and experience with how systems work at scale (e.g. threads, virtualization, configuration management, load balancers, caching).
- You are skilled in managing your time and the projects you lead or are a part of and can leverage processes, ceremonies, and tools to do so.
Behaviors & Mindset
- You're championing quality through your own coding practices.
- You are actively working to hone your craft and be a better engineer.
- You seek to learn more about the organization, our business, and problem domain.
- Testing is a natural part of your workflow; you feel better when you're shipping a test. You guarantee your software and are the first to know if something is amiss.
- You enjoy participating in and providing feedback on design and code reviews. You're socializing and testing your designs for components/modules before cutting code.
- You are accountable: if you ship something you own it from inception to production.
- You are collaborative: you work with other engineers on solutions that cut across teams/technologies.
- You can work independently: you manage your own time efficiently with a strong sense of prioritization.
- You can manage your workload: you communicate frequently and honestly to stakeholders and yourself about the work you commit to.
- You are fast-paced: you love the speed of and impact you have in startups. You set aggressive milestones for yourself and do extra to meet them.
If this kind of work sounds interesting, we'd love to hear from you! We're open to all backgrounds and we believe that great people can always find a place. People do their best work when they can be themselves, so we value uniqueness. We never discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability status.
We’re open to candidates in the Pacific-Eastern time zones. Collaboration and the ease of chatting face to face is important to us.