Envoy makes workplaces work better. With a focus on the details, we craft beautiful, modern software that elevates the workplace experience. Companies like Slack, Pinterest, Spotify, Nike, and American Express have worked with Envoy to welcome over 30 million visitors to more than 10,000 locations around the world. We are proudly backed by Andreessen Horowitz, Menlo Ventures, Initialized Capital, and many others.
Our mission is to challenge the status quo of workplace technology. This idea started at the front desk, where we set a new standard for visitor sign-in. Now, we're looking around the office—to the mailroom, meeting rooms and beyond—and asking how can we make this better, too? We envision a world where technology is woven through our workplaces, all of it working together to make our time there delightful.
If this world sounds exciting, we'd love for you to help us build it.
ABOUT THE TEAM
Nothing gives the Data team a thrill like seeing folks in the company use the tools & data they provide to drive insights we can do something about. They also love finding insights themselves, doing so using mastery of SQL, R, Python, a bunch of leading 3rd party tools (we happen to use Looker, Heap, dbt, Stitch, S3, Redshift), and techniques like linear regression, machine learning, and stochastic modeling. Mostly, they love those euphoric “aha” moments they get when data tells a compelling story and they want everyone to experience them, because it’s awesome.
The team is a combined Data engineering, science, and analysis one. We currently have 6 talented teammates and are looking to grow to at least 12 over the next year. We want the Data team to be perpetually overstaffed, if possible, because they need to have the time to ask and explore questions no one else can.
Overall, we value being a top-notch organization with a strong data and engineering-driven culture, and have the same high standards with our data, code, systems, and people. We value learning and growth (and not being bored) and hire fully-formed, diverse, well-rounded, communicative people we can envision being friends with and trusting. Our projects tend to be 1-2 people max, so trust and accountability is required for us to work. Also helps us keep processes & overhead low. We appreciate that we've built a reasonably-sized, high-powered team so far (100 employees including 50 in engineering, data, product, and design) and are always striving to be the best place to work we can be.
ABOUT THE ROLE
We are looking for a seasoned Director for our Data team!
- Drive great execution. Work with the team to set expectations and deliver against them, by architecting and implementing appropriate ceremonies and processes, keeping folks in the loop, managing risks, managing resource allocation (aka managing the balance of scope/schedule/resources), removing blockers, and helping break things down to small, manageable chunks to deliver value fast and iteratively.
- Engender quality into our data pipeline and ultimately data, be it through good standards, in-depth & helpful reviews, data validation methods, anomaly detection and alerting, multivariate experiments w/ proper control group(s), partnering with engineering on data storage and logging, well-thought out ETL, and ensuring we understand and document where and how funky 3rd party data becomes our clean, gold-standard set.
- Facilitate decisions on standards, frameworks & tools, build vs use, and best practices. We try and keep our data and tools simple, clean, readable, and consistent to maximize our time on Envoy problems.
- Drive staffing plans and ensure your teams are aligned to best accomplish the goals defined by and set forth for your team.
- You grow leaders at every level of your org. You diagnose and improve motivation and skills both individually and at scale within your team(s). You ensure our standards remain high for both culture and talent.
- Ensure the team continuously improves. Establish goals and KPIs for the team and/or technical scope, set up processes to ensure we continually track & learn, and drive priorities to improve. Facilitate improvement using root cause analyses, postmortems/retrospectives, and other processes. You set aggressive, aspirational, and inspirational goals that helps the teams unlock their best work.
- Cultivate a great culture where team members can do their best work. Promote ownership and accountability, high I/O, learning and teaching, good decision making, and a push for very high standards.
- Build, maintain, and invest in relationships inside and outside of the org, and ensure the team does the same. You are a trusted, reliable, and credible partner and promote transparency through regular communication.
- Ensure the team has clear goals, roadmaps, and priorities that are well informed by and socialized with partners & peers across the company. Work end-to-end to ensure we minimize technical and functionality gaps between teams.
- Be a company leader. Actively contribute to and/or lead engineering- and Envoy-wide strategies, changes, improvements.
- Learn, teach, & share. With your fellow teammates and the world (blogs, open source, etc). It’s good for you, good for Envoy, and good for the world.
- Adamant that data don’t lie. You are passionate about finding the insights and “truth” that data can give. It’s a key reason why you get up every day.
- A big picture, systems thinker. You think about how the whole is a sum of many parts and how we can properly measure them end to end such that we have the per context for insights.
- An owner. You acts with and teach appropriate urgency when the situation calls for it. You feel personally accountable and responsible. You look for problems and inefficiencies and finds elegant solutions before they become major issues.
- Fast-paced. You love the speed of and impact you have in startups. Conversely you never, ever want to be a tiny cog in a gigantic machine.
- Someone with extremely high standards. You’re practical and know perfect is the enemy of good, but you aspire for us to be great. You care deeply about the quality of your work and our data.
- An open-minded learner. You live to learn new things, like staying up to date on new technologies, tools, and techniques. You are inspired by what people inside and outside Envoy know and are eager to incorporate the world's knowledge into your work.
- Emotionally mature & humble. You care about being effective over being right. Ideally you’ve made major changes & decisions in your life and learned from the results.
- Communicative & empathetic, aka “high I/O”. You are happy when helping others succeed, particularly your team and partners across the company.
- Uplifting. You love encouraging and shining a light on your team, individual players, and outstanding work. You raise the visibility of the team’s work within the company.
- Background in data analytics, data science, and/or data engineering, and several years’ working experience in non-trivial data environments. Preferably folks who have at least 4-5+ years’ leadership experience (enough to have been around a number of environments, data sets, and situations to have good breadth and depth) including several as a director, and a BS or MS degree in a quantitative-oriented field. (I.e., a keen understanding of the scientific method and statistical inference)
- Experience with algorithms, tools, and techniques for data mining, linear regression, machine learning.
- Knowledge of & experience with where the data comes from and how it makes it through the pipeline into a query result or interface. You’ve worked 1st hand on various data storage technologies, pipelines, ETL, and visualization systems at scale. We use PostgreSQL, Redshift, Looker, DBT, Stitch, Split.io.
- A passion for scale, performance, and quality. You think people deserve access to their data in milliseconds and feel incorrect data is an insult. You worry about what happens when we have 100x more data & data sources, but are practical and experienced to know how to solve what we need right now.
- Broad and deep experience with a significant number of teams, projects, codebases, systems, and situations, and (optionally) companies and have gained insights and patterns you can apply to a diverse set of situations.
- Great leadership skills and experience. You’ve led teams to good outcomes many times, and the teams would reflect positively on them.
If this kind of work sounds interesting, we'd love to hear from you! We're open to all backgrounds and levels of experience, and we believe that great people can always find a place. People do their best work when they can be themselves, so we value uniqueness. We never discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability status.