Senior Visual Designer
Envoy makes workplaces work better. With a focus on the details, we craft beautiful, modern software that elevates the workplace experience. Companies like Slack, Pinterest, Spotify, Nike, and American Express have worked with Envoy to welcome over 30 million visitors to more than 10,000 locations around the world. We are proudly backed by Andreessen Horowitz, Menlo Ventures, Initialized Capital, and many others.
Our mission is to challenge the status quo of workplace technology. This idea started at the front desk, where we set a new standard for visitor sign-in. Now, we’re looking around the office—to the mailroom, meeting rooms and beyond—and asking how can we make this better, too? We envision a world where technology is woven through our workplaces, all of it working together to make our time there delightful.
If this world sounds exciting, we’d love for you to help us build it.
About the role
As a senior visual designer, you will be a leader on the design team. You will identify and effectively frame problems and opportunities, and lead the design of large projects from opportunity to implementation. You will develop working relationships with colleagues across the business, and actively look to mentor others and contribute to the wider design community. You will be responsible for designing a brand that elevates the modern workplace with beautiful, modern experiences that put people first.
Envoy is defined by great design and carefully crafted user experiences. We have sustained word-of-mouth growth and strong product-market fit, which gives us a unique opportunity to focus on delighting customers in unconventional ways. We’re a small design team that values humility, self-motivation, and a willingness to learn difficult things to become stronger, more well-rounded designers. We believe that being a part of a strong design team is one of the most rewarding parts our work.
You'll work with
Wells Riley, author of Startups, this is how design works
Jon Rundle, author of Remote work at Envoy: How we design for collaboration
Amy Devereux, creator of 365cons
Tina Xu, author of Books that shaped how I think
Katie Riley, author of How to ask good questions and level-up your user research skills
Alec Schmidt, designer of some beautiful notebooks
Pedro Carmo, previously at Simple, Kickstarter, Teespring and more
- Run point on highly complex, critical projects, managing aesthetics, brand alignment, clear communication, and quality.
- Work with engineering and marketing partners to define problems to be solved.
- Assume a leadership role on the visual design team, and be held accountable for design quality and cohesion across the team.
- Demonstrate and articulate understanding of layout, typography and visual hierarchy.
- Maintain and suggest evolutions of our design system and existing style guides with a holistic consideration for the future of our brand.
- Provide regular, direct and impactful feedback in crit, additionally engaging individual designers in adjacent teams to help them grow their skills and design toolkit.
- Communicate with marketing leads and engineers in their language, designing with consideration for their cares and concerns.
- Identify and help to organize design-led projects, events, and discussions, spreading design thinking and enthusiasm throughout Envoy and the wider design community.
- Extensive experience in visual design (layout, illustration, branding, icon design, typography, and visual hierarchy).
- Experience acting in a leadership role on a visual design team.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Extensive experience with sketching, interface design tools (Sketch, Photoshop, Illustrator), production HTML/CSS, and print design tools (InDesign).
- Demonstrable understanding and examples of how your designs support your team's goals, the broader product vision, and company objectives.
- A strong portfolio of visual and brand design work living in production, in use by millions of people.
- A link to your portfolio and (live) work you’ve done
- A link to your Dribbble profile if you have one
If this kind of work sounds interesting, we'd love to hear from you! We're open to all backgrounds and levels of experience, and we believe that great people can always find a place. People do their best work when they can be themselves, so we value uniqueness. We never discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability status.