Legal Affairs | Intern (Summer)
Manhattan, New York City
EquityZen is a marketplace for private investments. We help employees and other shareholders in big, venture-backed startups sell their shares before the company exits, and we help sophisticated investors access pre-IPO investments. We do this in a way that benefits all key players: the shareholder, the company, and the investor. We build industry-defining technology as the premier platform for private placements. Watch this short video here to learn more: https://equityzen.com/press/
Some of EquityZen's investors include Dave McClure's 500Startups, Tim Draper's Draper Associates, sovereign wealth funds, family offices, wealth managers, and influential investors from Finance, Venture, Law around the world. Some of the smartest minds in the industry (from Penn, Georgetown University, Johns Hopkins, NYU, and more) have helped us conduct transactions worth tens of millions of dollars.
We're looking for a capable and hungry summer legal intern to support EquityZen’s growing legal department. The intern will be responsible for conducting legal and market research, due diligence, document drafting, transactional support, regulatory research and drafting, and composing blog posts. Meet our team (https://equityzen.com/team/). Past EquityZen interns have continued working even after the official internship.
What you'll gain
- Be part of a small team building something BIG
- Experience and hands-on interaction with the founders and senior management
- Practical experience in managing deals, marketing, research and content creation
- Projects include: Legal/Market research, Due diligence, Document drafting, Deal analytics, Other fun stuff
- Exposure to multiple areas of law: securities, investment funds, venture capital, employment, IP, contracts/commercial
- Exposure to the startup and venture capital ecosystem
- Exposure working side-by-side with the founding team
- Endless ability to learn and grow your craft, create your own experience
- Ability to work directly on our product/service that will be seen by our clients
- Recruit and build out the corporate team as we grow
- Opportunity to work in a collaborative environment and a chance to be fully integrated into the organization
- Open invitation to learn more about your peers at staff functions including outings, dinners, etc.
- Make a big impact driving the business forward starting your very first week
The right stuff
- Rising 2L or 3L
- Top 20% of class
- Law review and/or clinic related to corporate law
- Demonstrated interest in startups, venture capital, and/or securities law
- Legal research skills
- Experience as a paralegal is a plus
- Excellent writing, research and interpersonal communication skills
- Attention to detail and accountability
- Ability to wear multiple hats, "can do" attitude
- Humble and hustling
- Desire to work in a true start-up environment
- Must be able to work F/T hours in the summer
*Bonus points if you have
- Entrepreneurial experience and drive
- Experience/Knowledge of the startup environment
- Paralegal experience in a transactional legal practice
Sector: Financial Technology (FinTech)
Minimum Experience: None
EquityZen provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, EquityZen complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
EquityZen expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of EquityZen’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.