Residential Extended Education Program
Big Sur, California /
*RESIDENTIAL EXTENDED EDUCATION PROGRAM (REEP) – 3 MONTH PROGRAM /
At Esalen, we believe in the power of our potential -- both in our staff and in our global community of students and faculty who turn to us for transformative learning experiences. Almost 60 years ago, Esalen co-founders imagined a place inspired by Abraham Maslow’s psychology of peak experiences and Aldous Huxley’s belief in “human potentialities”, the unrealized capacities of our mind and body. Today we build on this legacy by creating deep connections in a world challenged by disconnection and isolation; reigniting awe and wonder to spark greater curiosity about ourselves and others; and asking the questions that can lead to transformative change both for an individual and society.
Esalen isn’t just a place to work, it’s an invitation to help change the world.
- REEP, a Residential Extended Education Program, is a comprehensive training program designed to support our kitchen, cabins, and farm & garden teams with their work loads.
- REEP students will be empowered with new skills they will be able to apply on their next stop along life's cosmic bus line.
- REEP is an invitation to workshop attendees and LEEP graduates who feel called to find ways to spend a little more time at Esalen without the cost.
- REEP is also a way for local or out of state residents, students, seniors, folks in occupational transition looking for a temporary stopover where they can grow in mind, body, and spirit.
- REEP participants will have the opportunity to stop over for three months of service, while simultaneously exploring one's Self in partnership with the majesty of the Esalen campus.
- Esalen functions best when the community works toward the common mission of encouraging everyone to reach our highest human potential. With this goal in mind, this program description is not intended to cover or contain an all-encompassing listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change or new ones may be assigned at any time with or without notice based on Esalen’s and your team’s needs.
- Esalen co-founder Dick Price described his experience of living and working at Esalen as part of life’s cosmic journey, viewing Esalen as a mere stop along the cosmic bus line. This opportunity to work in service at Esalen Institute allows a great number of individuals to contribute to our mission and vision, then take the experience back out into the world, where they can affect cultural change. This opportunity allows individuals to spend up to a year contributing, learning, and growing in the role.
- While performing the duties in your assigned department, each REEP participant must be able to to work in a physically demanding environment; maneuver on uneven ground, stand for long periods of time, often carry and lift up to 50 pounds, carry, bend, push/pull, tolerate exposure to changes in temperature, and be able perform daily repetitive hand movements.
- In alignment with Esalen’s mission in advancing human potential, REEP participants are encouraged to engage in a wide range of personal and professional development programs designed by Esalen faculty and staff.
- Each REEP participant will be paid $16/hour.
- Must agree to live in shared accommodations. A residential fee of $200 will be deducted each pay period (pay periods are every other week).
- All meals will be provided.
Applicants are encouraged to provide your LinkedIn page, links to video resumes/professional websites, and include a cover letter of 500 words or less describing why the program would be beneficial to you.
Due to the overwhelming amount of applications being received for this program, the response timeline varies. Please do not email and call requesting to know your status.
Thanks for your patience and we appreciate your interest in our REEP program!
Esalen Institute is an Equal Opportunity Employer.