Director of Traffic Engineering
New York / New Jersey /
5G Engineering /
At E-SPACE, we believe space should be accessible to everyone, from the visionaries discovering our future in space today to the countless generations of innovators to come. We are on track to build the world’s largest, most sustainable space-based network. Led by industry pioneers and backed by world-class investors, we are assembling a team of best-in-class aerospace, software, and materials engineers and scientists to make this vision a reality.
As the leader of the Traffic engineering group you will own the end-to-end technical traffic forecast and capacity exhaust analysis and calculations for the RF, Core, Transport and Interconnection portions of the 5G network. It will be critical to understand the radio access and core capacity variables and factors that contribute to the subscriber quantities, consumption and tonnage capacity determination and exhaust calculations. Understanding the coverage and capacity constraints in a satellite and IoT end user customer devices environment is critical.
As part of the 5G engineering leadership team you will also help set the company's technical direction as it relates to the demand, capacity and exhaust analysis of the technical solution. This will involve large coordination with the product and marketing organizations as well as the technical design groups. Recruit Traffic engineering and database management talent in your group will be critical in success in the role. The individual will have full ownership in anticipating and calculating initial network and subscriber capacity levels and maintain ongoing capacity performance based on various forecasted demand scenarios. This will involve tight coordination with your peers involved in the wireless radio, core transport portion of the 5G engineering technical groups as well as the satellite design groups, marketing and product management.
The Director Traffic Engineering is the “go to” person to answer detailed capacity determination and network exhaust questions to ensure the technology meets the products requirements. The individual will have strong technical, market, business development and people skills while being a “fast expert” in the many new fields which the Traffic and capacity engineering functions will touch.
This role is available in our Beverly, MA, Bethesda, MD, or Toulouse, France locations.
- Developing the vision for implementing the Traffic and capacity engineering portion in the product roadmap.
- Understand the detailed air interface specification limits in the NB-IoT and LTE-M specifications in the 3GPP Release 15,16, 17 (and all future product roadmap) standards and how they are applied in a satellite (NTN) environment.
- You will build, lead and develop a team where there will be: Traffic and capacity engineers, Database developers, Database administrators.
- Your team will model the performance, traffic and capacity characteristics of the end to end network to ensure all system and product requirements are met.
- You will lead the team to design, build, test, deploy and administer the traffic engineering tools and systems.
- You will work with the People Team to determine org charts, titles, performance reviews and bonus for your team.
- Responsible for evaluating and performing detailed engineering activities supporting the design, development, and optimization of the data interconnection in a wireless network.
- Responsible for specifying equipment, APIs, virtual resources, etc. to create world class data services for E-Space customers.
- Develop peering, IP transit, and other interconnection requirements for the 5G network.
- Manage data traffic flows and recommend network changes as traffic profiles change.
- Lead out on developing best practices on reliability, security, and redundancy requirements.
- Actively contribute to improvements and participate in innovation, lessons learned, and knowledge sharing activities.
- Define and manage performance with SLAs and KPIs.
- BS in a technical field (engineering, computer science, mathematics, physics) or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 10+ years Internet / Telecommunications network experience including leading traffic/capacity engineering groups and operating as a traffic engineer.
- Working knowledge of DNS and BGP; familiarity with virtualization & software defined networking a plus.
- Familiarity with optical networking and interfaces.
- Ability to write detailed technical specifications.
- Ability to manage multiple commitments simultaneously.
- Understanding of traffic forecasting, engineering, Internet access services and Ethernet services.
- This position requires a solid understanding and experience with IP addressing, BGP, etc. to support efficient, low latency processing of all E-SPACE wireless data traffic.
- Candidates should have the ability to define and specify a range of connectivity options based on changing traffic.
- Candidates should have familiarity with network operators and other service provider networks and processes including Local Exchange Carriers (LEC), Tier 1 ISPs, and specialized carriers.
While we offer amazing compensation with great stock options, annual pay, bonuses, free lunches, and health benefits, more importantly, you should join our team for the opportunity to grow personally, and have a high impact on the lives of millions of people. We love solving the hard problems, the rigor of deep engineering, bleeding-edge technology, and helping the world.